C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painless wiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 06:13 PM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Painless wiring

anybody rewire their vettes?

All the wires in my enginebay are CRAP. and I have so many things not working, and no clue where some wires go. So has anybody ever rewired their vettes?
Old 08-30-2003, 09:16 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Painless wiring (Guru_4_hire)

Yes, I rewired the entire car, in and out, except the rear harness and the front lighting harness, both of those were modified through the years, but not actually replaced.....

but the engine compartment and pass compartment are ALL me....

but I don't know to what excent you neeed/want to go in rebuilding them....

bet things are not so messed up as you may think, but what you need do is untape the things, and see what's where, you can use late model wire loombs/coverings instead of tape....

lemme know what problems you have and I most likely can help....

GENE
Old 08-30-2003, 09:27 PM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Painless wiring (mrvette)

Well my heater fan doesnt work, nor do my dash lights, wires are getting burnt and broken in places. Especially around my heater/AC area. the other side is ugly but passable for now.
Old 08-30-2003, 09:39 PM
Jack71
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lectric Limited sells nice harnesses...
Old 08-30-2003, 09:48 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Well my heater fan doesnt work, nor do my dash lights, wires are getting burnt and broken in places. Especially around my heater/AC area. the other side is ugly but passable for now.
Dash lights is most likely the headlight switch on the dash dimmer when you twist the ****....go counter clockwise and feel a detent on the switch there, that is full brill.....I typically leave it there,....see if they come on in that position...maybe scrub switch back and forth several times....

on that heater/a-c blower....the wiring goes to a relay on the a/c housing above the header on pass side, there is a silver relay there, take out the two screws and pull it up top and look carefully at that baked out plug and the wiring, and maybe even the relay is fried...due to header heat...exhaust manifold...

need move the thing to top of the a/c blower housing, very carefully as you do't need shoving screws into the a/c evaporator and really screwing the pooch....

but those wires on my '72 were so bad, I just scrubbed up the relay and cut the plug off one wire at a time, and soldered the wires to the relay...messy looking with no plug, but it works, and no voltage drops either....

there is also two fuses for that heater blower, the one under the dash in the usual inaccessible spot....and one under the hood on driver's fender liner near the horney relay a white fuse clip with a 30 amp fuse is the high speed blower fuse...but for HIGH speed ONLY....that's the function of the relay on the housing mentioned above...

also check for proper grounding on the motors, but then the wipers might not work either....

GENE
Old 08-30-2003, 09:51 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just completed the engine bay harness. Unwrapped the entire thing and made numerous repairs to broken, missing, improperly routed wires and connectors. My advise is to use the AIM in conjunction with a detailed wireing diagram. Be forwarned though...some of those diagrams are incomplete. My 72 GM shop manual schematic is missing the blower motor relay. A schematic helps with proper wire color, gage, and how many to what component...and the AIM helps with routing and connection. Also...learn to use an electrical meter. "Fluke" is one of the better brands. A meter that has an audible function helps trace wires with a little beep when used in the ohm setting. This way you can do it yourself without haveing to look at the read out. Soldering is also a good skill to have, for I never trust a crimped splice. If I can solder...I will.
Good Luck...take your time...
Eddie

Get notified of new replies

To Painless wiring

Quick Reply: Painless wiring