C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

im baaaack.....question about those who installed 6x9 speakers in the rear compartment area

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 05:19 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default im baaaack.....question about those who installed 6x9 speakers in the rear compartment area

Hey whats up everyone...i havent posted here or even looked around in soo long....havent really done anything with my car this summer either...only went racing once and drove the car two other times....on a good note though, in the spring I had the Tremec TKO installed finally.....great transmission! Its great to finally have some gear with the zz4.

Anyway, i remember seeing a few people post pictures of speakers installed in the rear compartment of their non-bubble window vettes. They cut the hole for the 6x9 on the back panel along side the courtesy light...one to each side.....i was wondering if someone could post some pictures of this and explain how they cut the fiberglass? I pulled off my carpet and can see that the fiberglass is not flat in this area and couldnt figure out how to do it w/o mounting it with a space between the speaker and the fiberglass where the indentation goes along the back.
Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks
Chris
Old 08-30-2003, 05:44 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: im baaaack.....question about those who installed 6x9 speakers

I cut my 6x9s in the back panel where you say,...about an inch below the upper flange, centered between light and side of car....

I just cut in with a sawzall and put those foam buckets meant for door panel weatherproofing, held in by RTV to seal the irregularitites....and rum screws into the glass with flat nut clips on the glass....

otherwise you will need help ...someone to hold the nut while you turn the screws....either way will work and seal nicely...making an 'infinate' baffel out of the panel/glass.....the buckets will be visible throug the grills in back...

GENE
Old 08-30-2003, 06:45 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ear compartment area (74VETTE)

Short and sweet.....got to circut city and get alpine 6x9's. Then buy the 6x9 boxes they sell. Then buy some heavy gauge speaker wire and leave some extra on there. Toss em in the back and rock on. They totally kick azz but they aint cheap. Prolly around $200 or more for everything. Then when they're in the way just scoot em around. Works great in my vette. I never heard a 6x9 kick so much.
Old 08-30-2003, 08:26 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Default Re: ear compartment area (Jvette73)

THanks jvette and mrvette....
I have an extra set of pioneer 6x9's and a jensen amp that i took out of my R/T to make room for a bigger amp....this amp will be perfect for 6x9's....its 50w x 2 @2ohm RMS and the speakers are 40w RMS and ill just turn the gain down a touch....
Point being i dont want to spend any money on this lil project and wanted to keep things wide open in the rear of the car and/or to make it look factory :cool:

im going to break out the sawzall and do as you said mrvette....i have some thick gasket material here already.
Thanks guys
Old 08-30-2003, 10:15 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Default Re: ear compartment area (74VETTE)

74, Gasket material alone is not enough, you need protect the bacside of the speakers from weather, as if they were in a door panel, actually worse....

you need foam buckets made for the job....cheap..maybe ten bux at you r steereo shop....

GENE
Old 08-30-2003, 10:26 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Default Re: ear compartment area (mrvette)

foam buckets???
can you elaborate more mrvette?
LoL
thanks
Chris
Old 08-30-2003, 10:29 PM
Rogue Wave
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-16-'17

Default Re: im baaaack.....question about those who installed 6x9 speakers in the rear compartment (74VETTE)

For what it is worth... I didn't mount mine into the back of the storage compartment... the gas tank is behind it and I didn't want to cut large holes in the fiberglass separating the passenger compartment and the tank.

I purchased a couple speaker boxes from Crutchfields. Below is a picture of the end result (I still need to put the finishing trim, etc on the car).

If you want to cut speaker size holes you can just use a jigsaw. Use a large drill bit to make a hole for the jigsaw blade to fit in. There is a few inches clearance between the back of the wall and the gas tank. Get under the car and see how much room you have to work with. You should also do this to see how much room you have for speakers.

Just be careful with the power tools around the gas tank.

Old 08-30-2003, 11:38 PM
dewcustom
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6x9's ha i put three 12's in mine and still have room fr the tops and the rear window and i did not cut out the rear :rofl:
Old 08-31-2003, 12:09 AM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Default Re: (dewcustom)

6x9's ha i put three 12's in mine and still have room fr the tops and the rear window and i did not cut out the rear :rofl:
I wanna see some pics of this
Old 08-31-2003, 02:23 PM
dewcustom
Racer

Default Re: (battsup)

it is pretty nasty right now out side but when it stps raining i will go take some picks
Old 09-02-2003, 06:56 PM
stingray0752003
5th Gear

DUDE i run a custom car audio shop ont bad work :chevy i run a custom install shop in nashville im me im working on a fiberglass enclosure for 6x9s and sub
Old 09-02-2003, 09:30 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: (stingray0752003)

I did not want to cut my inner rear panel and I did not want to lose storage space so I made plywood frames and mounted them across the corners. Craig

Old 09-03-2003, 02:53 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Default Re: ear compartment area (74VETTE)

Well the buckets I used are soft and flexible, not firm, they feel kind of like insulation of sorts....but they are waterproof....

the tank sits about a foot back from the bulkhead...and so the speakers have about 4-5 inches from the back of the foam buckets to the tank...

if that tank moves that much in my convertible, I"m dead anyway...

GENE
Old 09-03-2003, 03:50 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Short and sweet.....got to circut city and get alpine 6x9's. Then buy the 6x9 boxes they sell. Then buy some heavy gauge speaker wire and leave some extra on there. Toss em in the back and rock on. They totally kick azz but they aint cheap. Prolly around $200 or more for everything. Then when they're in the way just scoot em around. Works great in my vette. I never heard a 6x9 kick so much.
:iagree: That is what I did and I can take them out at anytime
Old 09-03-2003, 03:55 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: ear compartment area (Alwyn678)

:iagree: That is what I did and I can take them out at anytime
:iagree: with his :iagree: .
Old 09-03-2003, 04:00 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: ear compartment area (Fevre)

BTW

I have a vert so I have been thinking of buying a set of the top spikes that insert into the recievers on the deck lid so I can screw them into the bottoms of the boxes and then snap the boxes into the recievers to get the 'full stereo affect' when cruising. :yesnod:
Old 09-03-2003, 04:10 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And then when you get into an accident you survive only to be killed nanoseconds later by one of the 2 sweet sounding projectiles......watch out with loose stereo equipment guys
Old 09-03-2003, 04:13 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: ear compartment area (Twin_Turbo)

And then when you get into an accident you survive only to be killed nanoseconds later by one of the 2 sweet sounding projectiles......watch out with loose stereo equipment guys
With a vert and no rollbar, a couple things loose behind the seats and under the deck lid are the least of my worries. :eek:

Get notified of new replies

To im baaaack.....question about those who installed 6x9 speakers in the rear compartment area

Quick Reply: im baaaack.....question about those who installed 6x9 speakers in the rear compartment area