C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where do i put the freon

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 08:07 PM
bjandajatbraves
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do i put the freon

I bought some freon stuff for the a/c in my 80 c3 and the guy who i bought it from showed me on another c3 where to insert it, but my unit seems a little different. Anyone who has a description of where to put the freon, please respond
Old 08-29-2003, 08:50 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Where do i put the freon (bjandajatbraves)

Well, you should have a fitting, called a schroeder valve, on at least one place in the piping. You will want to charge it from the suction side, as it will literally "suck" the freon out with the A/C on. The suction side would include the suction piping (the bigger of the two hoses coming out of the compressor), or a suction line accumulator (which looks like a big can in the engine compartment). The schroeder valve looks like a tire valve, only the outside will be brass or steel instead of rubber. You have to have the right fitting to connect to it, regular home and commercial A/C hoses do not fit auto A/C fittings. I believe you can get the refill kit with the cheapy hose at Walmart. It would be a good idea to weigh in the charge. I am sure there is a factory rating for how much R-12 a C3 system holds. If you have R-12, you might want a pro to do it, since it's such expensive stuff. Also, if it's R-12, you'll probably want the system leak checked and repaired as necessary. I am sure most local garages would be able to do this for you.

[Modified by A C, 7:51 PM 8/29/2003]
Old 08-29-2003, 09:29 PM
lyonsh
Drifting

Default Re: Where do i put the freon (A C)

If you have R-12, you might want a pro to do it, since it's such expensive stuff. Also, if it's R-12, you'll probably want the system leak checked and repaired as necessary.
:iagree: I don't mean to insult you, but you sound like you don't have any experience in this area. R12 is indeed getting expensive - it will be cheaper to have a pro check your system for leaks and install the correct charge properly than for you to do it twice.
Old 08-30-2003, 03:49 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: Where do i put the freon (lyonsh)

There's much more to it than just adding Freon. You need the right pressure and the right pressure differential between the high and low pressure sides of the system. You need special gauges, etc. Also, as others have said, if your "charge" is low, the Freon is going somewhere. Should have it leak tested, using a "Freon sniffer", and repair the leaks, otherwise, you'll be constantly adding Freon to the system. Chuck
Old 08-30-2003, 11:35 AM
bjandajatbraves
Advanced

Default Re: Where do i put the freon (bjandajatbraves)

thanks guys

Get notified of new replies

To Where do i put the freon

Quick Reply: Where do i put the freon