C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Long Road to a Hot Rod... The beginning, searching for Information.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 02:46 PM
MidNightBlueY2K
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Long Road to a Hot Rod... The beginning, searching for Information.

Hello all.

The Looong road to a finnished Hot rod has just started. We'll call this Chapter one. the search for information:

Idea: 1972 Corvette in Red, White or Blue. Big Block Auto, T tops.

Why 1972? Same year as me and last year for the crome bumpers. I love the bumpers and love the shap of that year over all.

Why the Colors? Red, white or blue? the finnal color paint will be an American Flag. Any of those three colors as a bace will work.

Why Big block and Auto? Big=good! Auto on this car is just a prefrance.

Why Hot rod? This is not going to be a restoration, but a hot rod. The plan is to keep with the original look and feel but int, paint, components will all me new or diffrent.

So were to start?

Basics: Genral C3 restoration/rebuilding books and tips?

Modles to look for?

Pricing range of a bace car? Keep in mind it just needs to run, poorly even at that. Most if not all the major componets will be used as cores or replaced entirly. Fram must be in good shap, int can be trashed so long as the structure is ok. Boddy can be beat up, but not wrecked.

Goal: A street quality hot rod, in the 500hp/500tq and up range. That will drive on the street, look good at a show, but not be a trailer queen or a national show winner.

I'm looking to start this project next summmer with a C3 buy someting between now and next Aug.

Josh :steering:
Old 08-29-2003, 03:39 PM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Default Re: The Long Road to a Hot Rod... The beginning, searching for Information. (MidNightBlueY2K)

Welcome to the forum! :cheers:

Welcome to my dream!!!!!!!!!! :D

I started down that road a couple of years ago and still have not come close to the finish line. Your plan is very nearly a carbon copy of a post I made here when I was much younger. :lol:

A couple of pointers to keep you from making the same mistakes I made. First, since you implied that the project will not actually start for about a year, spend as much time with your significant other building up a vast wealth of brownie points. Believe me, you are going to need them before you get done. :D

Next, regardless of the components you choose or the depth to which you take this project you need to start saving now. Whatever you think you are going to spend, double.... no triple that. I started out to fix a power window switch and by the time I get this thing finished I will have spent enough to pay for the switch surrounded by a whole new car! :rolleyes:

Last, make a plan. A serious plan with each piece laid out. Everything you do will likely cause you to need to do two more things. Then remember the nearly fatal "while I'm at it disease". This one will keep you tangled up for much longer than you can imagine. I highly recommend that you do the project in phases. In my case, there were two phases; a. totally destroy a perfectly good car and b. tring to put it all back together again. I suggest many more phases than that and a few rest periods added in.

Just as a thought to help you keep your sanity during the project, you'll need to keep your other Vette. One to work on and one to drive! :lolg:

Good luck, you are starting on a journey that lots of folks here will help you through. Have fun!

Dave

Oh yeah, you asked about books. Bar none the assembly manual with index is the best money you'll spend on you project.

[Modified by Rolling Thunder, 2:42 PM 8/29/2003]
Old 08-29-2003, 03:39 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: The Long Road to a Hot Rod... The beginning, searching for Information. (MidNightBlueY2K)

Chrome-bumper C3's especially a BB is going to cost you some money to buy becasue there are many others out there that desire the same thing ;) .

1st thing I'd do is concentrate on the suspension/ bushings & brakes so the car will be safe to drive & play with.

As far as other mods, these things are all personla taste so I'd suggest spending some time here in the C3 section to see what other have done or are doing to see what you like :) :cheers:

**Edit**
RT just reminded me of a couple of things: you can search for a smallblock car to save some money and put towards your BB engine since your not concerned with originality. And a great book is "How to Restore and Modify Your Corvette", lots of good info there ;)

[Modified by SmokedTires, 3:44 PM 8/29/2003]
Old 08-29-2003, 03:47 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Well, MY '72 is a hotrod I suppose, nothing much remains stock, maybe the chrome bumpers, about it....

take a look at my home page there, and maybe get some ideas....

GENE
Old 08-29-2003, 03:50 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

:iagree: Listen to Dave & Mike.

You guys beat me again! :D
Old 08-29-2003, 04:12 PM
MidNightBlueY2K
Instructor

Default Re: (1970 Stingray)

Mike and dave, thanks!

Great start to the search!!!

The Y2K vett is gona stay stock, wife wont let me touch it.... tho it's a BIG itch to yank the hood and tear out every thing, let me tell you.... :crazy:

The 72" will be my toy, and I don't expect it to run more than 100 miles in the next 4 years as it will probly always be torn apart.

Good idea on shopping for a small Block, my paln was to buy a crate motor for it any way, so reworking the engine mounts might work. I'll look at that cost vs trany and mount rework eforst closely.

I saw a 72" BB in white for 13K in OK. My Brother in Law owns a dealer ship in OK to..... but wife said NO! not yet...... Grrrrr LOL!

Josh :steering:
Old 08-29-2003, 09:33 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: (MidNightBlueY2K)

I would say look for a small block 72. There are a lot of them out there for a much better price than a big block, and there really aren't that many parts that you will need to swap the big block in. That way you won't have to deal with the initial price bump on a big block car. Talk to Dave. You are literally doing his project, only with a 72 instead of a 71 and maybe with some more modest goals. I can't wait to see Dave's car at CI V! :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To The Long Road to a Hot Rod... The beginning, searching for Information.

Quick Reply: The Long Road to a Hot Rod... The beginning, searching for Information.