C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think about buying a Vette with a rebuilt title?

Old 08-29-2003, 01:34 PM
Scudd
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What do you think about buying a Vette with a rebuilt title?

Any experience or ideas with this?
Old 08-29-2003, 01:47 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: What do you think about buying a Vette with a rebuilt title? (Scudd)

Well, unless it's repaired really well and there are pics showing the extent of the original damage, I'd walk away. Too many chances of gremlins down the road, plus it'll be hard to sell even at a lower price than market in the future. There are lots of C3's out there, no reason to buy one with title issues IMHO.

The above holds triple if it's got a non-factory VIN number (state issued).

Shannon
Old 08-29-2003, 01:52 PM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Default Re: What do you think about buying a Vette with a rebuilt title? (sb69coupe)

The only way I'd disagree would be if you were planning on radically changing the car anyway (like something I'd do :D ). Then it really doesn't matter as long as there are no repair related problems like bent frame, etc.

just my .02

[Modified by Rolling Thunder, 12:53 PM 8/29/2003]
Old 08-29-2003, 02:00 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: What do you think about buying a Vette with a rebuilt title? (Scudd)

As long as you don't mind zero resale value and potential insurance issues, just make sure it was properly done. Good documentation would be vital for me.

Hans
Old 08-29-2003, 02:51 PM
BigBadRed
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: What do you think about buying a Vette with a rebuilt title? (Wrencher)

Most important is knowing how bad it was before. Way to many cars are totalled because of BS rates. For example, my 76 had light front end damage no structural damage. Well the rates quoted for an entire front clip (all the fiberglass) and the quote was $6,000. Pretty damn close to what the car was worth. Now, take the parts cost and someone that knows what they are doing on their own time, $2,000 in repairs. Replacing all the same parts. If they had totalled my car, it would have been a great buy for anyone else as the actual damage was very minor. However there are more then to many people willing and able to rip you off. To many non-damaged cars to play with unless you really now the whole story.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:32 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: What do you think about buying a Vette with a rebuilt title? (BigBadOrange)

Depends on how bad it was, what you plan to do with it, and if your state can "wash" a title. I had an 89 IROC loaded out I bought for $1500 with a salvage title that had run under a barbed wire fence. I put a nose and one fender on it. I put 40k miles on it, never had it aligned or added a drop of freon and it drove like a dream. I sold it for $1800 which was less than w/o the title brand. Buyer took it to Alabama (which doesn't have salvage titles) and he is very happy with it. Still shows up on Car Fax as salvaged. If I was going to do a ground up rebuild, I wouldn't care. Assuming it was not badly damaged and was well repaired- If I could buy it cheap and planned on keeping it a while I wouldn't care. If you are concerned with resale and/or your state has strange regulations about salvage titles then I would pass. I understand North Carolina bases your yearly tag cost on the vehicle value. If you have a salvage title, your value is less, does anyone know how they handle that?
Old 08-29-2003, 04:44 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: What do you think about buying a Vette with a rebuilt title? (markdtn)

Don't walk, RUN away from it. ZERO resale value, regardless of how well it was fixed. It's a rebuilt wreck, and you can buy it cheap for a reason :) Chuck
Old 08-30-2003, 05:48 AM
FEDX
Melting Slicks

Location: A high school diploma fixing what a college degree broke TN
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'

Default Re: What do you think about buying a Vette with a rebuilt title? (Chuck Gongloff)

It wouldnt bother me at all to buy one if the price was right,and I was doing the repair work myself,or knew it had been done correctly.Sometimes you dont know what your getting with a brand new non-salvage car,remember one of the major manufacturers got caught selling repaired cars as knew that had been damaged falling off the train car transports.A guy I work with bought a brand new Suburban,and in less than a month found out it was full of bondo,to the point everyone agreed it had been totaled in its short life once already.That one cost the dealership quite a bit :D
Old 08-30-2003, 10:39 AM
Jack71
Drifting

Default Re: What do you think about buying a Vette with a rebuilt title? (FEDX)

You can't tell when its driving down the street.

A vette enthusiast may not want that understandably, but it can still be a very nice driver.
Old 08-30-2003, 01:48 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

These are the definitions used in the Province where I live. The "rebuilt" must meet stringent safety standards. Thus if the price was very reasonable I would not hesitate to get one as a driver.
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...dex.html#intro
Old 08-30-2003, 03:13 PM
FASGLAS
Race Director

CI 4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

There is a BIG difference between SALVAGE and REBUILT titles. I have NOTHING to do with either of the below. Examples used are for illustration, only.
---------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.ubidcorvettes.com/

2002 Corvette ZO6
Year: 2002 Color: Black Body: Fixed Roof
Engine: LS-6 Transmission: 6 speed Interior Color: Black
Mileage: 28951 Title Type: Salvage Title Damage: Rear Damage
Stock Number: CPT Location: Austin, Texas
Other Info: Good Airbags! Nice Builder.
Close Date: Pending Current Bid: $10000 Current Bidder: NONE

----------------------------------

artsvet@bowlinggreen.net

BLACK CONVERTIBLE
BLACK INT & TOP
AUTO
DUAL ZONE AIR, CD, 2000 CHROME WHEELS
REBUILD
$26000

Get notified of new replies

To What do you think about buying a Vette with a rebuilt title?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What do you think about buying a Vette with a rebuilt title?