C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Late headlights

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 08:44 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Late headlights

Puppe's post there raises question I have been more or less formulating for some time now....

as you can see from the site there, I have the olde tyme Eckler's trays in the car now,...what I would like is to put some more modern round smaller diameter bulb/lens combo in there further forward and not so much shrouded in the spread of the light beam as it is now....I corrected a lot of that with my driving lights, but would preferr a differant look than what's there now anyway....

anybody know of workable suggestions that include hi and lo beams???
maybe a really white/blueish display??
I plan on filling in a LOT of the hole that is there now, bringing the lights forward to the bumper more....making a slot kind of hole instead of that gaping mess there now.....more sleek looking....but NO cheap looking imitation plastic covers....

GENE
Old 08-29-2003, 11:20 PM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

Location: Manchester, Dead Center in the Middle of TN 25 miles to Jack Daniels,10 miles to Geo Dickle, and .8 mile from the Liquor Store at I-24 Exit 114
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Late headlights (mrvette)

Gene, I have considered the same thing.

I was looking at my big headlights and thought about using a set of smaller lights. This way, as you say, they could be slid forward and the rear area filled. This would allow the lights to require less height to open by being smaller and/or shorter and therefore produce less drag and I have always thought the factory lights were just too big.

I will probably use a set of '89 Grand Prix headlight capsules that are self contained with a complete mount, adjusters, and light all around 3" tall. These are even on a staggered cube mount and are also on a Camaro. I would have to look to see which is most accomodating. I will then have to fabricate a lid and base asembly that is electricly actuated.

I found a street rod company that sells a nice little electric cam operated unit to fit the requirements. I may have even found one that is really inexpensive from a '78-'87 Malibu wagon. They have a power rear vent window that has about the right travel to it and will be easily found.

These are available with the H-4 style capsules for a Xenon bulbfrom Pro-street lightiing.

So many projects so little time. JIM :thumbs:
Old 08-30-2003, 09:52 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Late headlights (mrvette)

HOw'bout this set up?

Old 08-30-2003, 01:42 PM
Crickett
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Late headlights (groovyjay)

HOw'bout this set up?

OMG that is phat!!!!!!!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Old 08-31-2003, 04:02 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Late headlights (PROSOUTH)

Have you guys thought about adapting the C5 headlight replacements to a C3? At least they will sit at the correct angle for the nose, and you can still say its a corvette part.
This is just one example, If you search, or go ask in teh C5 section, I'm sure you will get to see several other styles.

http://www.corvettemike.com/shop/lig...nopopheadl.htm

Old 08-31-2003, 04:25 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Late headlights (Desertdawg)

YES, that red car from Germany there is a good solutiion, something close to what I had in mind, but I was thiking of just permanently glassing in the light covers instead of bolt ins like that....
the C5 fixed assy may look 'OK' but the description turns me off.....no such thing as plastic of any type that lasts long in sunlight without fogging/discoloring over.....fans to keep it fog free??? BS......
need lights that are all glass, even the lens, would preferr a sealed beam...

I have not shopped much on this idea yet, as I"m looking at ideas.....noteing that a friend up the road is playing with some small round/oval aftermarket driving lights as an add on...got me thinking of them or something like them that for sure meets DOT requirements could be mounted in place....similar to the Red car there...the only thing about the red car's installation is the shrouding of the light beam in width/pattern on the road...not so sure that's acceptable...but would obviously need to see the pattern....

great, another field....lighting engineering....

looks like I need clean up my rear garage wall into a pattern display of some sort....

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To Late headlights

Quick Reply: Late headlights