C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 03:15 PM
sweible
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Battery Drain

I have a 2.7 amp. drain on the battery. I hooked up a voltmeter then pulled all the fuses one at a time - no change. Disconected the six wire plug in the evaporater case area under the hood to see if the drain might be in the alternator or sterter circuts - no change. Pulled the plugs on the relays in the jack storage area - no change. Where do I go from here? How do you determine where to look if the problem isn't in a specific circut?

This is on my 81. Any suggestions or advice would be a GREAT help.
Thanks, Steve
Old 08-28-2003, 04:00 PM
Robd
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Battery Drain (sweible)

One thing that might help is to look to something that doesn’t work. For instance I had a bad short for years, and eventually just starting removing me battery cable when I parked. When I removed my body I found my problem. The interior light switch cable in the door jam had come loose and fell down and had arced itself to the frame. I had always wondered why those lights didn’t work. May not help but you never know.
Old 08-28-2003, 04:27 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Battery Drain (Robd)

One other area that should be looked at are the cable grounds to the frame by the battery, the frame ground at the starter and the +12vdc cable from the battery to the starter. Take each ground apart, clean the connector with a wire brush, clean the frame or block or frame connection and put it back together with a star washer.

For the +12, disconnect at the battery and ohm between this cable and the frame ground. If you have anything but total open you have a ground leak most likely to dried out cables or even old crud/grease conducting slightly to frame.

Last resort is to get a ground interrupter for the ground side of the battery. Vette houses and most good auto parts stores carry them. PITA but each time you part the car overnight or open it up and the battery will not discharge. Tough problems - good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Drain

Quick Reply: Battery Drain