C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropping the drive shaft in my 69 350

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 08:47 AM
Burgundy 69
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Dropping the drive shaft in my 69 350

Ever since I purchased my 69 350, I have had an annoying vibration in the HURST shifter that increases with increase in RPM. Last week I had a new exhaust put on and while we were under the car I asked the mechanic about it. I explained that I had already had all tires ballanced, put in new motor mounts, new transmission mount, new clutch, pressure plate and had the fly wheel ground. We checked the rear half shafts and the drive shaft. He felt that there was a little play in the drive shaft yoke and felt that my problem could be in the drive shaft/universal/yoke. The other possibility being the transmission. He suggested that I go the inexpensive route first and have the drive shaft examined. Although I have done quite a bit of work under the hood, I have never attempted to drop the drive shaft. I was told to get the rear end up on ramps and drop it first before attempting the front end. Can anyone with experience removing a drive shaft add any suggestions? Thanks.

Mark
Old 08-28-2003, 09:37 AM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Dropping the drive shaft in my 69 350 (Burgundy 69)

One thing to check is water pump. If bearings are going you will feel it in shifter. Also check HB for wobble. Drive shaft should be able to disconnect from fwd yoke first then drop front shaft down and take off from back.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:38 AM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

I don't remember doing anything special. Just unbolted the u-bolts and pulled out. Careful with the yoke coming out of the transmission, it can just pull right out (at least on a 4-speed).
Old 08-28-2003, 10:26 AM
vettemack
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As per you mechanic's advise, jack up rear and place on jack stands. Be sure to chock front wheels to keep car from moving
Unbolt rear u-bolts and move driveshaft to one side to clear rearend.
Slide back about 10 inches and driveshaft front yoke will pull free of the transmission. You may have some fluid leakage out of the transmission but it will be minor. You may also want to place masking tape around bearing caps to avoid loosing any needle bearing.
Slide driveshaft forward and pull out from under car.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:33 AM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Dropping the drive shaft in my 69 350 (vettemack)

Seems to me I had to unbolt the rear, then unbolt the front, then push the yoke all the way in and then wiggle the drive shaft to get it out.

I sure don't remember having enough room to slide the shaft BACK 10 inches with the body on the car!

I also had a vibration in my '69, I ended up relocating the rear of the transmission about 1" towards the driver side to get rid of it.

Of course now I wonder if the rear end was aligned properly since I had just done some work back there...
Old 08-28-2003, 10:40 AM
vettemack
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Dropping the drive shaft in my 69 350 (427V8)

I have side pipes so the exhaust is not an issue. That may be why mine is so easy. I used to have so many clutch problems, once I had the car on stands, I could have the transmission out in 30 minutes.

Get notified of new replies

To Dropping the drive shaft in my 69 350

Quick Reply: Dropping the drive shaft in my 69 350