C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Forgot to install upper windshield trim clips before installing windshield

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 07:03 AM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help Forgot to install upper windshield trim clips before installing windshield

I need to install 6 clips on the upper weldment that were not installed before the windshield was installed. I only have 2 at the moment. One is on each end on the corner pieces. Without these the windshield trim will not have anything to hold them in place along the top. I can drill a hole from the backside and perhaps use a rivet?? A screw will never be able to be installed from the front.
What do I do??
Any suggestions are appreciated, click on the pic to enlarge
Neil in Tenn

[Modified by Nomad78SA, 6:04 AM 8/28/2003]
Old 08-28-2003, 07:15 AM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Default Re: Help Forgot to install upper windshield trim clips before installing windshield (Nomad78SA)

The clips secure the upper reveal molding to the t-top reveal molding, Because the top molding gets screwed down you might be okay. You could apply some 2-sided tape along the top edge of the glass to secure the upper molding.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:40 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Help Forgot to install upper windshield trim clips before installing windshield (Nomad78SA)

Hate to tell you but the trim will never go on nice and straight with only 2 clips, I think you need to remove the windshield :( :cry
Old 08-28-2003, 10:28 AM
sray454
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It might be somewhat bubba, but I'd try to use hex head screws instead of phillips head screws. You can then use an open end wrench (ignition wrench) - should be enough room to get a wrench in there and will be hidden by the trim anyway.

[Modified by sray454, 9:29 AM 8/28/2003]
Old 08-28-2003, 10:24 PM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Help Forgot to install upper windshield trim clips before installing windshield (sray454)

Thought about it today at work and deceided to drill the weldment out from the backside 3/16s the same size as the hole in the clip. I then used rivets and nailed it down. Came out fine. I now have 6 clips in the middle and the 2 on the ends for 8 total...I wonder what is going to happen next :lol:
I just trial fitted the stainless top and will check the molding out later. I still have to place the dum dum or sealant under the stainless top and don't want to scratch the molding up to much putting it on and off.
Neil in Tenn

[Modified by Nomad78SA, 9:26 PM 8/28/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Help Forgot to install upper windshield trim clips before installing windshield

Quick Reply: Help Forgot to install upper windshield trim clips before installing windshield