C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone had their original windshield washer motor/pump restored

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 03:50 AM
Makonut
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Anyone had their original windshield washer motor/pump restored

I need to get mine done. Actually the motor works but I am not sure3 if it works correctly. The pump does leak.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:45 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Anyone had their original windshield washer motor/pump restored (Makonut)

The old mechanical washers are a pain to do. You can buy a rebuild kit for them but the plastic parts are either black or white vs. the off white of the originals. You may also need a few other internal parts so.... If you want to keep it looking correct you need to get a new replacement and use the old plastic parts with the new seals and pieces from the new one. Also Mine had a couple of worn out metal pieces that I robbed from the new "donor" pump. It's a frustrating job getting it to work just right. Be sure to compare the bottom of the new replacement where it engages to the wiper motor as there a few variations of these pumps and only the exact match will work.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:35 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Anyone had their original windshield washer motor/pump restored (Makonut)

This is a 1967 pump restored by Danny Tate of WiperWorks, PO Box 57, Sewanee, TN 37375.

If you are a do-it-yourselfer, this C3 pump kit is available from GM.

[Modified by paul67, 6:58 AM 8/28/2003]
Old 08-28-2003, 08:18 AM
GREGG-73
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Anyone had their original windshield washer motor/pump restored (paul67)

If you are a do-it-yourselfer, this C3 pump kit is available from GM.

You probally only need the the triple-O-ring in the pic above. Disconnect the washer hose at the washer tank. Get yourself a glass of water, take a gulp, and blow it through into the line back to the pump. If you see any fluid coming out, it's the O-ring. I just repaired mine a couple months ago, replaced the O-ring, cleaned the screen on the bottom of the jar hose, and presto! It primed itself and started squirting.

While your at it, you may also wish to purchase a welder's- torch cleaning tool and use the smallest wire to clean out the exit ports on the windshield wiper arms. Worked for me, good luck.

[Modified by paul67, 6:58 AM 8/28/2003][/QUOTE] :cheers:

[Modified by GREGG-73, 7:20 AM 8/28/2003]
Old 08-28-2003, 08:32 AM
Burgundy 69
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Anyone had their original windshield washer motor/pump restored (paul67)

I also had my 69 wipermotor/pump rebuilt by Wiperworks. Their turnaround was only a week and I am very pleased with the results.

Mark

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone had their original windshield washer motor/pump restored

Quick Reply: Anyone had their original windshield washer motor/pump restored