C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove a cracked center console?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 12:09 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default How to remove a cracked center console?

I'm sure there is probably some simple way(or maybe not), but both the '74 & '71 have that dreaded cracked console that is in between the seats. I bought a center section(unpainted) from Ecklers late last year and it appears that the thing has to be undone from the bottom of the vette. True or false? Why else would everyone let them crack to hell and back?

Any hints would be appreciated. And thanks to the archives for bringing up "The Last Detail". Carpet and mats for the '71 were ordered today. And the '74 will never need the stereo system when it hits the drag strip, so the original radio goes back in and all the components will be transferred to the '71. Nothing like having a donor vette! :lol:

And for just a few bucks I will have the engine bay of the 454 looking alot better this weekend. Amazing what stripping an intake/repainting... aluminum thermostat housing... a new chrome air cleaner top with stickers & new chrome valve covers can do for what looked tacky before. When I get done Saturday I will no longer mind pulling up the hood. Nothings special.... just clean.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:55 AM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Re: How to remove a cracked center console? (bgrice)

Well take some good before and after pics. :D

BTW, guess what I've been doing all night, Barry???....yep, rebuilding and bleeding my brakes. Well, I'm still finishing the last one and then I'll bleed. I hope that fixes my brake problem I had when I headed out your way last time. I would hate to have that re-occur when I head all the way out to HRP. That would be pretty scary. :eek:

[Modified by tshort, 11:57 PM 8/27/2003]
Old 08-28-2003, 07:58 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

If you mean the one with the ebrake handle in it, and the power window switches, there are two obvious bolts/screws on each side, then one silly screw in from the rear, pop the center hatch, and look forward, may have to take the package tray cardboard out, there is a hole there, in which that bolt/screw is located....phillips as I recall.....frankly I don't bother with any of those bolts, the damn thing will not float away....

GENE
Old 08-28-2003, 09:53 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had mine in and out a few times and other then the 2 screws, one on each side it comes right out. Push down on the seat right next to the console and you will see a screw. Pressing down on the seat reveals this. The back is just a stud and slide the unit forward and it lifts off. The hardest part for me was the black plastic strip around the emergency brake handle.
You do not go from underneath.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:42 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: How to remove a cracked center console? (norvalwilhelm)

Thanks! Plans are to pull the seats and have the leather redone here locally in Houston, so while they are out I wanted to change the center console. Theoretically, it should be a piece of cake with the seats out. I'll wait until the carpet comes in though as I am :auto: this thing over the holiday. :cheers:
Old 08-28-2003, 01:22 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't know about the '71-'74's, but my '69 has 2 studs hanging down from the center insturment cluster with 3/8 nuts on them that have to be loosened, then the console pulls back (after the screws mentioned earlier are removed).

I have to pull my A/C-heater controls up and out first to reach under and get to them with a 1/4 drive ratchet. Don't get rid of your original console! Every one of the aftermarkets I've seen are a little off in finish texture. I ended up 'glassing mine in underneath and re-using it.

Hans

Get notified of new replies

To How to remove a cracked center console?

Quick Reply: How to remove a cracked center console?