C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Car FINALLY got painted today.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 12:02 AM
Marc80
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Car FINALLY got painted today.

I bought my car last September. On Halloween a very old deaf fart pulled out in front of me and the front right fender was ruined. It was pathetic. I would look at the guy trying to read the communication I was writing for him and he didn't even seem to know what he had done (left a stopsign) and then look and my car and want to cry. His insurance pays $6500. So I get to thinking. Hey, why not drop in that new motor first. So I bought a crate motor and after days of degreasing, repainting, and repairing steering, breaks, front suspension, radiatior, starter, battery, we install it. then I stipped the paint and took it to the shop in January. The beginning of January that is. They were going to do the repairs and paint it. After a month nothing had been done. They were booked up and told me it would be another couple weeks before they got to it. I took it back for another two weeks in February and put in a built TCI transmission and a breakaway stall converter (stock was terrible with that cam). I also rebuilt the back brakes, parking brakes and replaced rear shocks. Also steering wheel and carpet. Then it went back to the shop until about April when they renegociated for some additional funds ....since they were doing more than the original work (although they didn't have to strip anything).

At some point, I started going there almost every week just to press for progress. There was usually a little, but I endured their busy schedule, employee problems and booth repairs, etc.

AT LEAST they seem to be doing a fantastic job and there are many details of the cars body that are resolved that never would have been otherwise. It will be like new. I am sure you can all imagine how exciting this is. It will come out almost a new car. I have a few more parts (monospring, fuel pump, rear hatch kit) to install and then off to the muffler shop for some electric cutouts, and an X pipe. It will be almost a year in the works and most of it has been just waiting. I cannot wait to drive this again. It diminishes my memories of childhood christmas eves.

MY ADVICE: When their rental company offers you a car, use it whether you need it or not. It would put pressure on them for completion.

I will post some pics when it gets back ...and i figure that process out.
And by the way, it is black. And I like it that way, even in Florida!

Marc

Old 08-28-2003, 12:06 AM
Marc80
Racer

Default Re: My Car FINALLY got painted today. (Marc80)

By the way. You guys have all been a source of inspiration and entertainment through these trying sharkless times. I really appreciate this forum. The information, your experiences, are appreciated. So, Thanks!
Old 08-28-2003, 02:17 AM
DMONSVETTE
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

:cheers: Can't wait to see the pics! :thumbs: :seeya
Old 08-28-2003, 06:22 AM
Boofers
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow you're quite ambitious with your car! :thumbs:
Old 08-28-2003, 03:44 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

Sounds nice now post some pics
Old 08-28-2003, 09:22 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: My Car FINALLY got painted today. (Alwyn678)

Pics, pics, pics. Should turn out really nice. :thumbs:
Old 08-29-2003, 09:41 PM
Marc80
Racer

I was ambitious since I didn't want to get stuck in the middle of that project.

THE CAR IS NOW BLACK! I saw it and now even more ready to be driving again. They have some problems with the hood but the car already looks awesome. 4 coats black, 5 coats clear. Waiting for wetsand and buff.

I have some pics now and will try to get some advice on easiest way to post them.

Get notified of new replies

To My Car FINALLY got painted today.

Quick Reply: My Car FINALLY got painted today.