C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlight switch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 08:00 PM
Northwest79
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight switch replacement

I need to replace my headlight switch ... anyone got any tips on getting at that sucker ?

I have been looking bottom up, but it seems kinda crowded, so I am thinking that to do it right perhaps I need to pull the dash/console out.

Perhaps I can remove the dash speaker and get my hand at it from the top down..

Tips anyone ?

Thanks eh !

Chris
Old 08-27-2003, 08:43 PM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 182 Posts

Default Re: headlight switch replacement (Northwest79)

You're correct. Speedo/tach pad needs to at least be loosened. Remove all the screws, including the 2 that hold it to the center gauge bezel. Remove the trim piece under the steering column (2 screws). Remove the screws along the top edge of the dash pad and along the door jamb side. Pull the top left corner of the pad out gently. You'll be able to now access the light switch. There's a small spring-loaded tab that you must find. Depress and hold this tab and pull the headlight **** out. Remove the plastic bezel that says "LIGHTS". Use a needle nose pliers to remove the barrel nut that holds the switch into the dash panel. Remove the wire connector (and vacuum hoses if applicable.....remeber how they come off for proper reinstallation; I believe the one with the blue lines goes on the rear vacuum port). Remove switch.
Now my favorite line.................Install new using reverse procedure. :)
Old 08-27-2003, 10:17 PM
73ragtop
Instructor

Default Re: headlight switch replacement (ettev)

You're correct. Speedo/tach pad needs to at least be loosened. Remove all the screws, including the 2 that hold it to the center gauge bezel. Remove the trim piece under the steering column (2 screws). Remove the screws along the top edge of the dash pad and along the door jamb side. Pull the top left corner of the pad out gently. You'll be able to now access the light switch. There's a small spring-loaded tab that you must find. Depress and hold this tab and pull the headlight **** out. Remove the plastic bezel that says "LIGHTS". Use a needle nose pliers to remove the barrel nut that holds the switch into the dash panel. Remove the wire connector (and vacuum hoses if applicable.....remeber how they come off for proper reinstallation; I believe the one with the blue lines goes on the rear vacuum port). Remove switch.
Now my favorite line.................Install new using reverse procedure. :)
Having just replaced my headlight switch two weeks ago, I can tell you that the first time is the hardest. I believe I could do it again in 1/4 the time. The quote above is basically the best way, but it is much easier if you drop the steering column. The dash can be pulled out much farther and you can see what you're doing. You also don't have to pry the dash pad loose, and possibly break it. Here's a trick I never saw on this forum that I found out about by reading the service manual. To remove the ****, FIRST pull it all the way out to the full headlights on position, THEN push in the spring-loaded **** on the backside of the dash on top of the switch, then pull the headlight **** out the front of the dash. If you don't turn the light switch to the full on position, you will rant and rave and jerk and push and swear trying to get the damn thing out. Now, with this secret procedure, you will become a pro and will swear to the next questioner on this forum that changing out a headlight switch is a piece of cake.

Eddie
Old 08-28-2003, 01:44 PM
Northwest79
Intermediate

Default Re: headlight switch replacement (73ragtop)

wow.. great answers .. thanks folks !!

Chris

Get notified of new replies

To headlight switch replacement

Quick Reply: headlight switch replacement