C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing from Tuned port injection back to carberation - what do you think

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 04:51 PM
Don&Kelly
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Changing from Tuned port injection back to carberation - what do you think

This past year I switched the engine in my '81 coupe and got rid of the old 190 hp (at the crank) engine & put in a 350 with all sorts of goody's including Holly Tuned Port Injection - Acell - Electronic Control Module.
In the car it came out of this engine made 325 hp at the rear wheels, we've had a heck of a time finding someone to program the computer & although it runs well, it's slow .. I dyno'd yesterday and it has 207 hp at the rear wheels with 330 pounds of torque .. I know the problem is the computer .. I'm thinking of going back to a Edelbrock intake & a good 4 barrel carb .. what do you think??

:mad :confused:

[Modified by Don&Kelly, 4:14 PM 8/27/2003]
Old 08-27-2003, 05:00 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Changing from Tuned port injection back to carberation - what do you think (Don&Kelly)

Don, I REALLY hate to hear that, but not being familiar with any aftermarket DPFI systems and such, I don't know what to say......

BUT the principles of operation of SPFI in general....meaning by the numbers a factory oriented design...make any carb look sick by comparison....

throttle response, fuel economy..with 16-18 gallon tanks this DOES matter....unless it's a garage queen...., and the ease of starting and running in all weather patterns....

I dunno what problems you are facing, but the overall operational charactoristics of a PROPER RUNNING DPFI are so far superior to any carb....
once you have taken the plunge...I can't imagine going back...even if that means a more stock type computer, or whatever....

sorry to hear of such lousey aftermarket support...seems someone out here should know something....

GENE :blueangel:
Old 08-27-2003, 05:01 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Changing from Tuned port injection back to carberation - what do you think (Don&Kelly)

Did you see it make 325 RWHP ?

I have always liked carburetors, can't gt my home computer to work properly let alone one in a car :lol:
Old 08-27-2003, 05:06 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you know it made 325 out of the old car? Would be curious to see your specs for cam and exhaust. If it is running well then I am unsure whether a carb would offer better performance. I agree with Gene, once you get it tuned it is a better over all system then a carb, not faster just over all better.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:12 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Changing from Tuned port injection back to carberation - what do you think (mrvette)

:iagree:

Many wish they had Fuel Injection instead of carbs. Will you be giving away the FI system? :)
Old 08-27-2003, 06:00 PM
e3pres
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I'll trade you an Edelbrock Performer aluminum intake and an almost brand new Q-Jet for the TPI setup.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:29 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Changing from Tuned port injection back to carberation - what do you think (e3pres)

Well, it will probably be easier to actually see peak HP with the carb if you are used to working on them. Everything else will suffer though, most likely. Driveability, cold starting, and gas mileage. Also, you will be out some major bucks for the FI setup, which would REALLY suck if you put on the carb setup and determine the motor is actually the cause for the low HP numbers. I am with the other guys...did you actually see this 325 RWHP pull?
Old 08-27-2003, 07:44 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Changing from Tuned port injection back to carberation - what do you think (A C)

i wouldnt go back either,unless its for an all out 1/4 mile car.I just swapped injectors(24lb motorsports) in mine and now my new custom chip works even better then before.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:17 PM
Don&Kelly
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Changing from Tuned port injection back to carberation - what do you think (patsnitrovette)

Well you're all correct, I did not see the 325 hp pull ... but surely he would not misslead me just to sell an engine :smash: - seriously, I know that almost everyone fudges their HP #'s, but not usuall by this much ... but following your advise, I've found a Tuner in my area, & he says that I'm running "pig fat" and so that should help some .. (but not 120 horses) .. so I think I'll let him have a shot at tuning it & then see what to do. Thanks for your help ...

:seeya :cheers:

[Modified by Don&Kelly, 12:17 PM 8/28/2003]
Old 08-28-2003, 01:56 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

I think you should keep it and get the motor modded a bit
Old 08-28-2003, 02:27 PM
Puppe
6th Gear

I sure like to see the inside of your engine. If it´s a stock C4 vette TPI 350 it outputs a max hp of ~310 with those parts you´ve listed and then it has to be very fine tuned. If you wan´t more out of it you have to open it up and start putting down some serious work on it (heads, pistons, blueprinting and more).
I don´t have the figures on a Vette, but a normal front engine rear wheel drive automatic will loose about 30% hp on the drivetrain.
Ex. Engine 300hp * 70% is about 210hp at the rear wheels.
So calculated like this you should have almost 300hp in the engine.
I had a C4 350TPI in my Camaro and I did as much as I could without opening it up and I got 218hp at the rear wheels.
So I´m just wondering was it really 325hp at the wheels or was it 325hp at the crankshaft with some selling horsepowers too.
If it really had 325hp at the wheels, it´s possible to loose atleast 50% if your computer is badly programmed.
So lets hope it´s only the computer that needs a good programmer. :thumbs:
If you´ve gone TPI you should never :nono: go back only improve it.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:43 PM
Don&Kelly
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Changing from Tuned port injection back to carberation - what do you think (Puppe)

I've always heard that the calculations are a 20% loss with a auto & a 15% loss with a 6 speed.

207 hp divided by .80 = 260 hp at the crank and yes I might be able to pick up some more hp with the proper tune job ... at least that's what I'm hoping .. so I might get close to 300 hp at the crank .. but that still isn't what he told me & I might consider a cam or heads to add alittle more ... it all depends on whether the turner can make a difference ..

:cheers: :seeya

[Modified by Don&Kelly, 1:44 PM 8/28/2003]
Old 08-28-2003, 02:54 PM
SuprJames
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Changing from Tuned port injection back to carberation - what do you think (Puppe)

I spent about two months trying to get my Accel DFI system tuned to the max. After my dad and I spent hours reading books and magazines we came to the conclusion that without a dyno it was nearly impossible to tune. I was running 13.03 1/4 before I took it to one of Accel's DFI guys (EMIC) with a dyno. When he first tested it I was running around 260 HP and 310 ft lb. of torque at the rears. After an hour of tuning he got it to 290 HP and 390 ft. lb. of torque!! My mileage stayed at 20+ mpg on the highway. I wrecked the car the day after he tuned it in April so I never got to try it out at the track :( . I think I could squeeze a few more horses out with a cold air system and a radiator that actually keeps the engine below 200 degrees.

Anyway, the moral of the story is to take it to an Accel EMIC (find them on Accel's website) with a dyno. It was theworth the $90.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:06 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Changing from Tuned port injection back to carberation - what do you think (SuprJames)

:iagree: with SuprJames, dyno tuning is the only way to go with FI. I have Accel DFI in my Formula and no way can you tune it for all out performance without know what your putting down to the road. The 02 sensor readings can give you a ballpark but once you go open loop all bets are off. I'll check that Accel website for a dyno center near me with Accel experience. :thumbs:
Old 08-28-2003, 03:08 PM
Puppe
6th Gear

[QUOTE]I've always heard that the calculations are a 20% loss with a auto & a 15% loss with a 6 speed.

That sounds right for these new highly sofisticated cars but remember that a C3 vettes drivetrain was made on the draftboard about 40years ago.
If anybody knows the right %loss for C3, could you share that info with me and everybody else who is wondering. :confused:
Old 08-28-2003, 03:12 PM
Don&Kelly
Melting Slicks

(quote) That sounds right for these new highly sofisticated cars but remember that a C3 vettes drivetrain was made on the draftboard about 40years ago.
If anybody knows the right %loss for C3, could you share that info with me and everybody else who is wondering (quote)

Great point, I'd like to know too ...

:seeya

[Modified by Don&Kelly, 2:18 PM 8/28/2003]
Old 08-28-2003, 03:17 PM
Don&Kelly
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Changing from Tuned port injection back to carberation - what do you think (SuprJames)

SuprJames

(quote) take it to an Accel EMIC (find them on Accel's website) with a dyno (quote)

Whats' is their web site, I searched for it but could not find it ..

:seeya

Get notified of new replies

To Changing from Tuned port injection back to carberation - what do you think

Old 08-28-2003, 03:22 PM
SuprJames
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

SuprJames

(quote) take it to an Accel EMIC (find them on Accel's website) with a dyno (quote)

Whats' is their web site, I searched for it but could not find it ..
http://www.mrgasket.com/dfimain.html

You can also download instructions.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:22 PM
Fevre
Race Director

www.mrgasket.com
Old 08-28-2003, 03:23 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Changing from Tuned port injection back to carberation - what do you think (Fevre)

The link to the dyno centers is not working right now.

Quick Reply: Changing from Tuned port injection back to carberation - what do you think