C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight door on '81 binding upon opening. Ideas?

Old 08-27-2003, 01:43 PM
Gator81
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Headlight door on '81 binding upon opening. Ideas?

For awhile, I noticed that the paint was getting chipped on the fiberglass immediately behind the center of one of my headlight doors. I just thought :rolleyes: that I was collecting rock chips there for some reason, and ignored it. Rather suddenly, one night, I realized there was a different problem when I pulled on the lights and only one side popped up. The other one was binding, and that was what was chipping the paint.

So, for some reason, where there used to be adequate clearance, now there is not. I'm assuming the fiberglass immediately behind the headlight door is separating from its underlying steel header support, or whatever that is called. I haven't taken a close look at it yet. To get the headlight to come all the way up, I just have to push down on that fiberglass area to relieve the bind. There does not appear to be anything wrong with the light unit or door.

Unless I get a better idea, I suppose I'll have to take the light unit out and then clean and rebond the 'glass to the support, at least that's if my assumption about the nature of the problem is correct.

Any of you guys and/or ladies have to deal with this issue before? Any helpful hints??? :)
Old 08-27-2003, 02:05 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Headlight door on '81 binding upon opening. Ideas? (Gator81)

Your headlight surround IS separating from the body. This can be easily fixed by re-bonding the support to the underside of the body. My support was very rusty and needed replaced. Check yours for corrosion.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:51 PM
Gator81
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Headlight door on '81 binding upon opening. Ideas? (Stewart's74)

Thanks! :seeya
I knew somebody on here had to have been to this rodeo before! :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight door on '81 binding upon opening. Ideas?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlight door on '81 binding upon opening. Ideas?