C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you put a v-belt on JUST the crank/water pump pulleys?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 01:42 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Have you put a v-belt on JUST the crank/water pump pulleys?

I'm attempting this while my vette is down. I got a 30.5" dayco belt the other day...it was a tad too loose. Exchanged it for a 30". Tried to put it on last night and, dayum, that sucker is tight. Maybe too tight so I didn't put it all the way on before I took it back off. I've got 3-groove crank and water pulleys with studs on the water pump boss for the pulley. I can get the water pump pulley (with belt) on the studs but it's cockeyed. I can gett the nuts on the studs and tighten them but I'm afraid if I crank down on em the belt will end up bein waaaay too tight and damage the WP bearing. Is it supposed to be this tight and loosen up with time? Or do I need a 30.25" inch belt which this supplier says dayco doesn't make?

Brett :thumbs:
Old 08-27-2003, 02:21 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Re: Have you put a v-belt on JUST the crank/water pump pulleys? (Brettmc)

I can't really picture why your range of tension adjustment is so small.

Could you post a picture? I see that you have a 454. :)
Old 08-27-2003, 02:52 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Default Re: Have you put a v-belt on JUST the crank/water pump pulleys? (gkull)

I can't really picture why your range of tension adjustment is so small.
Therein lies the problem, G. There is NO range of adjustment as it goes around the crank and WP pulleys only.

The reason I want to do this is I have only 1 belt that drives the alt, wp and ps. If it fails, I'm stranded. If I have a crank/wp belt, I can limp home. It's not necessary but I would like it just for backup purposes. I know, I know, you're gonna say to carry a spare belt in the car. Well, I don't carry tools when I go out in the vette. I like to live dangerously :lol: :lol:

Old 08-27-2003, 02:57 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Have you put a v-belt on JUST the crank/water pump pulleys? (gkull)

I don't have a big block, but I think that both the big and small blocks have a single belt directly connecting the crank to the water pump. I don't believe that there is any adjustment on the belt or pulleys between the crank and the water pump.

I haven't changed my belt on my small block so I don't have any suggestions that will help.
Old 08-27-2003, 03:47 PM
Mike P
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Have you put a v-belt on JUST the crank/water pump pulleys? (Jim Shea)

The neatest way i've found to put the belt on when it's new is to use a medium sized, wooden Jorgensen woodworking clamp to squeeze the pulleys apart. The clamps are the ones with two parallel, wooden jaws with the opposed twist handles.

Take your 30" belt and flip it over the pulleys, while they're sitting on the bench (make sure it's in the right groove). Then open up the clamp so it fits between the free sections of the belt and the pulleys and tighten the clamp up, thus squeezing the pulleys away from each other, until the belt gets tight. You should then be able to lift the clamp, pulleys and belt up off the bench as one solid unit. Then tighten or loosen the clamp to get the right distance between the pulleys so they'll bolt on to the motor.

It ends upthe clamp is only required when the belt is new. Once it's run in, it's a little longer and you should be able to get the water pump pulley onto the nub on the end of the water pump without the clamp.

I hope this makes sense.

Mike P
Old 08-27-2003, 03:53 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Re: Have you put a v-belt on JUST the crank/water pump pulleys? (Brettmc)

All the small blocks have a separate belt crank to power steering. Then a belt for crank/waterpump/alternator.

Your power steering pump swings in it's mount for tension and the alternator swings.
Old 08-27-2003, 03:53 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

If you are using a 30", 7/16" belt you could try the same length with a 3/8" width. It will sit lower in the pulley groove and give you the slack you need.
Old 08-27-2003, 04:09 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Default Re: Have you put a v-belt on JUST the crank/water pump pulleys? (Mike P)

The neatest way i've found to put the belt on when it's new is to use a medium sized, wooden Jorgensen woodworking clamp to squeeze the pulleys apart. The clamps are the ones with two parallel, wooden jaws with the opposed twist handles.

Take your 30" belt and flip it over the pulleys, while they're sitting on the bench (make sure it's in the right groove). Then open up the clamp so it fits between the free sections of the belt and the pulleys and tighten the clamp up, thus squeezing the pulleys away from each other, until the belt gets tight. You should then be able to lift the clamp, pulleys and belt up off the bench as one solid unit. Then tighten or loosen the clamp to get the right distance between the pulleys so they'll bolt on to the motor.

It ends upthe clamp is only required when the belt is new. Once it's run in, it's a little longer and you should be able to get the water pump pulley onto the nub on the end of the water pump without the clamp.

I hope this makes sense.

Mike P
It makes perfect sense. However, I'm too lazy to take off the crank pulley. I think I will try stretching the belt and then put it on. Thanks for the idea!

Old 08-27-2003, 04:11 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Default Re: Have you put a v-belt on JUST the crank/water pump pulleys? (paul67)

If you are using a 30", 7/16" belt you could try the same length with a 3/8" width. It will sit lower in the pulley groove and give you the slack you need.
Hmmm, this is also a good idea. I'll ask the guy at the belt warehouse if he has narrower belts. Thanks!

Old 08-27-2003, 05:13 PM
70vert
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a 454 w/air, there is a belt that just goes around the water pump/crank. There is also supose to be a belt tensioner on there. There is a Gates belt that fits pretty well (may just a tiny bit too lose) without the belt tensioner. Take the studs out of the pump and re-install after putting the belt on. I will look up the belt number tonight if you want it.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:11 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Default Re: Have you put a v-belt on JUST the crank/water pump pulleys? (70vert)

The problem is the previous owner put what looks to be a billet pulley on the crank so the stock belt prolly won't fit. I've never seen a tensioner for a crank/wp belt. That might be the answer to my problem.

Old 08-28-2003, 08:38 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Why don't you just carry an extra belt in the car. I have spare belts for my PS and my ALT, Water Pump in the jack compartment of my vette just in case. They are small and do not take up much room back there. I also carry a small 50 piece socket set I got from sears and my leatherman. I figure if it is nothing seriour I should have the materials to do the job.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:25 AM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Have you put a v-belt on JUST the crank/water pump pulleys? (70vert)

On a 454 w/air, there is a belt that just goes around the water pump/crank. There is also supose to be a belt tensioner on there.
Yup - that's it. You're missing the idler.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:01 AM
Ken74Conv
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way I did it on the stock car I used to work on was to enlarge the bolt holes in the water pump. This allowed the water pump to be lower before tightening the bolts. Now the belt will go on easier. After the belt is on you have to pry up on the water pump and tighten the bolts. We did this for many years with no problems.

:cheers:
Old 08-28-2003, 10:06 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Have you put a v-belt on JUST the crank/water pump pulleys? (mayberg)

On a 454 w/air, there is a belt that just goes around the water pump/crank. There is also supose to be a belt tensioner on there.
Yup - that's it. You're missing the idler.
Anyone have a part number for the idler?
Old 08-28-2003, 01:40 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm running a NAPA belt in that spot that fits great. I'll get the number tonight. George, power steering cars can't use the small belt as it runs in that back groove. Non-PS BB cars have a problem with belt slippage using the stock fan/clutch arrangement.

Hans
Old 08-28-2003, 01:41 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

There were some suggestions here:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=304765

I owned mycar for a couple of years before I even figured out that belt was missing! :lol: I am still running with 1 belt. You can see all the different belt configurations in the AIM. Original setup varied by engine and options..

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=300510

MJ

Old 08-28-2003, 10:34 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

I actually did this on mine, the belt fits, no problems. The Gates number is 7345. I ran this belt because I thought I was going to delete the air conditioning, but now that I have shifted towards not deleting it, I will be removing it for replacement with the A/C drive belt. It was easy to install by loosening the water pump fan clutch nuts and allowing the pulley to flop down enough to get the belt in the groove. The fan and clutch assembly had to be removed as the belt was so short it would not fit around the fan. You must be careful when "walking" a belt on the pulleys, it stretches the belt and can actually break the cords in the belt.

Get notified of new replies

To Have you put a v-belt on JUST the crank/water pump pulleys?

Quick Reply: Have you put a v-belt on JUST the crank/water pump pulleys?