C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Warning Buzzer on 69

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 09:27 PM
telk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Warning Buzzer on 69

Where is it and what does it look like
Old 08-26-2003, 10:08 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Key Warning Buzzer on 69 (telk)

Mine doesn't work either, I have been told that it is part of the horn relay system, but I haven't figured out how it is supposed to work.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:19 PM
TNT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Telk, the key buzzer circut is very simple but yet complicated. The buzzer is in the horn relay that is located on the drivers front inner fender. The buzzer is activated when the key is in the ignition and the drivers door is open. The pin switch located on the drivers side post, where the hinges are, is the path and 1 trigger for the buzzer. The ignition switch or lock and cylinder on the culumn has a very fragile and hard to find and $$$$$ switch that is only activated when the key is fully inserted into the switch! Hope this helps. Thad
Old 08-27-2003, 09:20 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Key Warning Buzzer on 69 (TNT)

In addition to this good information, you might want to look in your GM Service Manual. My 72 Service Manual has a good description and troubleshooting diagnosis section. It helped me identify and fix my key buzzer.
Gary
ps, go too http://www.corvettefaq.com and look up steering. Jim Shea has some wonderful diagrams, schematics and repair advice on steering related issues.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:46 PM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 182 Posts

Before you buy a new horn relay, remove the old one and gently pop the cover off yours (use a fine flat blade screwdriver to bend up one tab on the relay cover and remove the cover). You'll see a small set of contactors in there (they'll look like a set of ignition points). Use VERY fine sandpaper, slip it between the contactor pads and clean them off. Use an electronic spray cleaner sparingly to clean the entire assembly before reinstalling the relay cover (try not to spray the fine wire coil). Also, remove your door jamb switch, test it and the circuit. Clean the existing switch and plug connectors or install new as required.

Get notified of new replies

To Key Warning Buzzer on 69

Quick Reply: Key Warning Buzzer on 69