C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shim kit for rear rotor or rear rotor resurfacing machine??????

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 07:33 PM
bnytro
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shim kit for rear rotor or rear rotor resurfacing machine??????

where do you buy rear shims for rear rotor or do i have to make my own, working on aircraft i know they make sheets of peal ply shim stock thats .003 inches thick per ply, made of titanimum, stainless steel, aluminum, kapton (1500 degree plastic) and other low temp materials, that comes in various thickness (0.030 inches thick) can be cut with a knife, but where do you find a brake/rotor cutter thats cuts rotors on the car???? or do i have to get machined ant a machine shop???? :confused: :steering:
Old 08-26-2003, 08:55 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: shim kit for rear rotor or rear rotor resurfacing machine?????? (bnytro)

I made aluminum shim stock from a Dr. Pepper can to shim my rotors. It can be cut easily with scissors.
Practically free and worked perfectly.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:36 PM
bnytro
Advanced

Default Re: shim kit for rear rotor or rear rotor resurfacing machine?????? (bnytro)

yes but being here in hawaii with the humidity, steal and aluminum dont mix they cause galvanic corrosion because of dissimular metals, the aluminum will turn to power and i'll be back to where i was before
Old 08-26-2003, 09:40 PM
Turbo-Jet
Melting Slicks

http://www.reidtool.com/pdf/464.pdf

these shims work perfectly. measure the rotor run out as shown below. for best results, disconnect the halfshaft from the drive flange. then use some math to calculate the req'd shim thickness and install them over the lug stud. this is a better method than machining. why would one want to remove material from a rotor (especially if new)? rotors need mass in order to operate. more mass equals more heat capacity, resulting in less fade and reduced chance of warping or damage.

[Modified by Turbo-Jet, 12:36 AM 8/27/2003]
Old 08-26-2003, 10:33 PM
Barry's70LT1
Drifting

Received 831 Likes on 242 Posts

I bought a cheap set of feeler guages , and used the "fingers" as shims.
It's great, they are all labelled.
When you check the runout with a dial guage, you can select the exact size to do the job.

When you have selected the exact size, use some weatherstrip glue to fasten it to the spindle flange.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:35 PM
ROD NOCK
Pro

To get rotors cut on the car, you'll have to find a shop that has the machine to handle this.
The alt is to remove the spindle, and have a machine shop with a large lathe cut the rotor attached to the spindle.
Try shimming first. I say less hassle, and cheaper. :smash:
Old 08-26-2003, 11:53 PM
Kevin_73
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

I had a sheet of brass shim stock that I used for various things for my model jets and cut it to fit.
You can get this stuff in various thicknesses from most hardware stores, and brass should not have a bad reaction to your evil thick salty tropical air. :D
Old 08-27-2003, 08:57 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I say spread a thin coat of wheel bearing grease all over all hubs and lug studs, and also the aluminum, I used aluminum foil in several layers for this purpose.....make it a thin coat of grease, we not bedding something here, just a thin layer...I been doing this for decades, and it's stopped all corrosion problems, discs, druns, hubs, wheels.....all of them flop on and off easy....

GENE
Old 08-28-2003, 05:12 PM
bnytro
Advanced

Default Re: shim kit for rear rotor or rear rotor resurfacing machine?????? (mrvette)

greese???? man you guys must not drive your vette hard, im brutal on brakes, 100+ mile an hour stops, plus this car is going to see track time, im thinking about building a rotor resurfacer my self, hope it works, i'll let you know if it does, but thanks for all the ideas :steering:
Old 08-28-2003, 06:45 PM
flood
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the rear brakes are going to be a huge PITA I can tell by the ammount of posts. Why didn't GM just make it easy to turn the rotors and be done with it. ... :crazy:
Old 08-29-2003, 09:20 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: shim kit for rear rotor or rear rotor resurfacing machine?????? (flood)

Disconnecting the half-shaft is a good tip. This is a technique I have been using for many years. You need to rotate the rotor without interference to get an accurate runout figure. With the half-shaft connected, there is too much drag to spin the rotor without wobbling the assembly.

Also... if the wheel bearings are loose at all, you will not be able to get a good reading either. The spindle will wobble giving you unpredictable numbers.

I don't consider a rotor runout reading accurate unless I have eliminated all of the other possible sources of movement. I have a special jig and spindle support/spindle that I use just for checking rotors off the car.

Spindles also have runout.... so even if you have a "true" rotor, your spindle can have significant runout.

About "new" rotors... I used to work in an Auto Parts Store many moons ago... new rotors are usually not straight... they typically need to be turned right out of the box. One of my high volume customers who did a lot of brake work insisted that we turn every rotor we sold to him before we delivered it. Most of them had significant runout.

Technology has not progressed in this regard... recently I purchased several new rotors for my Silverado and my Mustangs... they were all crooked.

GM turned the spindles and rotors as an assembly, riveted together. This was the only cost effective way they could build the cars and keep the TIR (runout) at the minimum amount necessary to provide adequate braking performance. Turning them as an assembly requires special tooling... drum/rotor machines are not designed for this task. You need a lathe with a large chuck and above average accuracy because of the large rotor diameter.

Edit: Oops.... forgot.... you can get STAINLESS shims here if you don't feel like manufacturing them yourself. http://www.mcmaster.com/ This is where I buy them in various thickness.

[Modified by Tom454, 9:41 AM 8/29/2003]
Old 08-29-2003, 05:44 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Default Re: shim kit for rear rotor or rear rotor resurfacing machine?????? (Tom454)

Tom is correct about new rotors having runout. I just installed a new rear rotor and it had .005" out of the box. This was checked with T ram off the car after rebuilding the rear arm and bearings. I used ss shims to dial it in to .0005" TRO. I use the shim and punch kit that MSC sells,cost about $100 to get setup but worth it if you plan on doing several cars. http://www.msc-direct.com
Gary

Get notified of new replies

To shim kit for rear rotor or rear rotor resurfacing machine??????

Quick Reply: shim kit for rear rotor or rear rotor resurfacing machine??????