C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No reverse ( Its making me mad)

Old 08-25-2003, 10:30 PM
Cole Neadow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No reverse ( Its making me mad)

Finally get the dash and console back together and now the shifter is screwed up. I don't know if I damaged it when I was fighting the console back in or what. I felt like kicking the crap out of the car and if it wasn't so pretty I probaly would have. The problem is that I can not get the shifter to move to the left, it will go through 1st to 4th but will not move over for reverse. I took out the T handle and pin but it still won't move over. I can put it in reverse by moving the linkage on the tranny from under the car, but I will have to take it to a hoist to get it high enough to see the shifter. Any ideas.
Thanks Cole
1968 327 4 speeds ahead none back :mad
Old 08-26-2003, 07:53 AM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Default Re: No reverse (Cole Neadow)

You just need to tweak the adjustment on the shifter. The Haynes manual has a good step by step procedure which I have found very helpful with similar problems. Try to keep the frustration level under control and take it one step at a time. I find that taking a beer break when I get PO'ed at the car helps me maintain an even strain. :cheers:
Old 08-26-2003, 10:14 AM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Cole,
Sure it isn't a FORD? It's an acronym for Forward Only Reverse Denied. :jester :cheers: :D
Regards from Down Under

aussiejohn
Old 08-26-2003, 10:36 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Double check to make sure you put all the parts back into the shifter in order. I accidently drop the spring in first and had to fish it out with a magnet. If I remember correctly with the spring down in there I could not get it in rev. Also make sure the rev rod is in the neutral positon or you will not be able to get the shifter to go into rev.

I like to take beer breaks whether they are needed or not. :cheers:

[Modified by Fevre, 9:36 AM 8/26/2003]
Old 08-26-2003, 10:43 AM
joes69vette
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem with my 1969. I removed the lower boot and sprayed some WD-40 in there and it's been good for a few months now.

Joe
Old 08-26-2003, 12:13 PM
Robd
Pro

Default Re: No reverse (joes69vette)

I just installed my shifter back in my car, however it is a bit easier with the body off. I can’t remember how much you can see with the upper and lower shifter boots removed. But basically with the tranny in neutral all of the shifter plates create a channel and the shifter should be able to move easily from left to right ( as your sitting in the drivers seat) without any snagging. With a flashlight and the boots removed you might be able to see this left to right movement (to correct any snagging you need to adjust the shifter rods). Obviously the reverse lock-out rod prevents the shifter from moving to the reverse shifter plate to be able to actuate the shifter rod for reverse. If you can easily get into all gears except for reverse and you have removed the reverse lock-out rod and you still cant get over into reverse then the reverse shifter plate is out of alignment with the other shifter plates, which would require adjustment of only the reverse linkage rod. Hope this helps
Old 08-27-2003, 11:51 AM
Cole Neadow
Racer

Well I have reverse again, I put the car up on the hoist and removed the exhaust pipe to give me a little more access ( not much) I started with a small screw driver and hammer tapping ( ok beating ) on the bottom of the shifter. After a few good hits out pops a friggin screw from the console, one of the handfull I dropped trying to get it together, I guess it fell right into the shifter and was jammed in. This winter I would like to put in a new shifter, but it looks like you would have to remove the engine, tranny, and body from the car to get to it. :crazy:
Thanks for all the help Cole

Get notified of new replies

To No reverse ( Its making me mad)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No reverse ( Its making me mad)