C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Filter location on 76

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 11:02 AM
76Stinger
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel Filter location on 76

OK - call me ignoramus :troll - but I cannot find my fuel filter. After reading some posts about fuel problems, I decided I would go ahead and change the filter. Yes - :confused: you're thinking why has he never done this before? It never crossed my mind. I always had someone else do all the maintenance on other cars as I just did not have the tools, location, and usually time.

Since buying the 76, I have tried to get my hands dirty and learn as much as possible but I keep running into little things where the knowledge of where, how, when, and what eludes me.

Anyway, I bought a fuel filter at AZ and on the box it states "Use a qualified mechanic to install this filter." :smash: Now I was expecting something you would attach to a fuel line. This is simply a paper filter about 1-1/2" long and it evidently goes inside something else. Where is that something else?

OK - I've humbled myself :bb and bow to your vast storehouse of knowledge.

Thanks
STW :seeya
Robert
76Stinger
Old 08-25-2003, 11:30 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Default Re: Fuel Filter location on 76 (76Stinger)

It's in the carb where the fuel line goes in.

edited to add: Getting the fuel line off from the big carb fitting can be a pain in **** though. Over the years, the line likes to fuse to the carb fitting. I (like a lot of other C3 owners) just ended up cutting the fuel line about 6" from the carb, then you can take a stub of the line and carb fitting out at once. Then you just splice in some rubber fuel hose at the cut.

[Modified by wcsinx, 4:33 PM 8/25/2003]
Old 08-25-2003, 11:43 AM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fuel Filter location on 76 (wcsinx)

"Getting the fuel line off from the big carb fitting can be a pain in **** though"

:iagree: The flare nut is made of soft metal and easy to strip. You should really use a flare wrench. It probably wouldn't hurt to hit it with some penetrating fluid also. If it's already stripped, you may be stuck using vice grips.

Also, one end of the filter is closed. Note the orientation when you remove the old one. And, there's a spring in there too, be careful not to drop/lose that.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Filter location on 76

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter location on 76