C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a Step-by-Step Procedure for Steering Box, Valve, Pump, Hoses, etc. R&R

Old 08-25-2003, 10:13 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Need a Step-by-Step Procedure for Steering Box, Valve, Pump, Hoses, etc. R&R

All,

I am about to start on the removal and replacement of the steering components (steering gearbox, valve, slave cylinder, pump and hoses). Please advise if there are links to information detailing this procedure. I have the '80 L48...
Old 08-25-2003, 10:23 AM
76Stinger
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Need a Step-by-Step Procedure for Steering Box, Valve, Pump, Hoses, etc. R&R (TedH)

This is to be one of my upcoming projects as well. Put me on your email if you send this.

Thanks

STW :seeya
Robert
76Stinger
Old 08-25-2003, 10:51 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Need a Step-by-Step Procedure for Steering Box, Valve, Pump, Hoses, etc. R&R (TedH)

OK. I just realized that the stack of resto books would come in handy for this job.

The 1968-82 Haynes provides an excellent step-by-step procedure for all of the components. I'll be using it as my secondary reference to my 1980 Shop Manual.

The 'Chevrolet Corvette Restoration Guide' book by Lindsay Porter provides step-by-step instructions for the rag joint, steering gearbox and the power steering components. I strongly recommend purchase of this book by those considering this rebuild procedure or many others.

"How to Restore & Modify Your Corvette 1968-82' by Richard Newton isn't quite a step-by-step guide but it gives good instructions on removal of the steering components also.

I think I have all of the info that I can possibly need for this procedure. :seeya
Old 08-25-2003, 02:20 PM
dath
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you've got the info, can you tell me one thing... How does one properly center a new/rebuilt steering gear when pulling the old one and putting in a new one? I've read proceedures for taking them out and putting them in, but they always assume that you're installing the same gear... Seems I had this figured out at one point, but that was more than a year ago and now that I've got a rebuilt gear to install, I keep putting it off because I don't have the info... :rolleyes:
Old 08-25-2003, 02:37 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Need a Step-by-Step Procedure for Steering Box, Valve, Pump, Hoses, etc. R&R (dath)

The key to aligning the pitman arm to the teeth on the steering gear is that the front tires, steering wheel and the associated worm gear inside the steering gearbox must be 'centered' (the wormshaft 'flat' should be at the 12-o'clock position). It would appear that you must remove the steering gearbox side cover to verify the wormshaft 12-o'clock position. Once you have verified it with the steering gear (am assuming you left the front tires pointing straight ahead when you first pulled the steering gearbox) on center, you should be able to get a very close alignment with the pitman arm. The key is not to allow the steering gear position to move once you have verified the alignment between the wormshaft and steering column. You may be able to ensure this by locking the steering wheel once you attach the gearbox to the steering column (just my thought on that one) or by binding the steering wheel in such a manner that any attempt to turn the wormgear is prevented once centered.

[Modified by TedH, 2:41 PM 8/25/2003]
Old 08-25-2003, 02:43 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Need a Step-by-Step Procedure for Steering Box, Valve, Pump, Hoses, etc. R&R (dath)

By the way, instead of removing my steering box, I am going to attempt replacement of seals with it in the car. Not sure if this is the right approach but Haynes says the seals can be replaced without removal of the gearbox (assuming there are no worn internal races/bearings/gears). I'll be taking a look-see through the side cover once I pry off the pitman arm. I have a major grease leak in the area of my steering gearbox and suspect the pitman seal has failed.
Old 08-25-2003, 03:52 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

STEERING WHEEL AND STRG GEAR CENTERING

Here is a complete procedure for centering your steering gear and steering wheel. Park your car in a place where you can work on it yet be able to drive it straight ahead a short distance to check how it tracks.

Your pitman shaft has splines where it attaches to the pitman shaft. There should be 32 splines around the entire shaft. However, one has been machined away. There should be a corresponding "block tooth" on the pitman arm that should match up to the missing pitman shaft spline. Therefore, the pitman shaft should only go on one way.

Now, with the pitman shaft attached to the gear, you should be able to roughly approximate putting the gear on center and connect the gear to the control valve and linkage.

Rotate your steering wheel from full lock in one direction to full lock in the other and count the total number of revolutions of the steering wheel. Divide that number in half. Now go to full lock turn in either direction and come back exactly one half your number of steering wheel turns. Now your steering gear is exactly on center.

With your gear is right on center, your flexible coupling that is attached to your gear input shaft should have its stop pins exactly vertical (12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions). The attaching pinch bolt should also be vertical and passing through the 9 o'clock position. The head of the bolt should be such that you can reach over your fender and drive it home.

Open the hood and take a crayon or piece of chalk and make a mark right on the top of the flexible steering shaft coupling. Now you have a mark that you can reference when your gear is right on center.

Now drive the car forward. With your gear right on center, does the car go straight? Or does it track to the right or left? You can now adjust the left and right tie rods by turning them in the same direction and turning them exactly the same number of revolutions. Loosen the tie rod adjuster clamps on both the left and right tie rods, then turn both tubes an equal number of turns in the same direction to bring the gear back on center. DO NOT turn the sleeves an unequal number of turns or you will change your front wheel toe settings.

You will find that turning them one direction will make the tracking problem worse, turning in the other direction will bring you back on a straight course. By turning both tie rods the same you will not disturb your front wheel toe setting (assuming it was correct to begin with).

Now you have the car tracking straight ahead with the gear on center. You can now address the steering column. With the wheels straight ahead and your steering gear on center, now check your steering wheel alignment. The 6 o'clock spoke measured right at the steering wheel rim should be within 1 inch of being exactly at the bottom. If the wheel is not in alignment, remove it and reindex the hub on the steering column to center the wheel.

BTW, there are several papers on rebuilding the steering gear, centering your control valve, and papers on various other steering parts at:
http://www.corvettefaq.com in the Steering section.

Get notified of new replies

To Need a Step-by-Step Procedure for Steering Box, Valve, Pump, Hoses, etc. R&R

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need a Step-by-Step Procedure for Steering Box, Valve, Pump, Hoses, etc. R&R