C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost speedo gear in tranny case - help!

Old 08-25-2003, 10:10 AM
criz51
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost speedo gear in tranny case - help!

Saturday was not a good day. Had to replace my speedo gear that connects the speedo cable to the Munice 4spd. box. It's a very tight area to work in and while trying to get it in the case somehow the plastic gear on the end that goes into the tranny fell inside the case. Any ideas on how to get it out? Will it damage anything if I can't get it out? Any suggestions would be appreciated. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Old 08-25-2003, 10:34 AM
vettemack
Racer

Default Re: Lost speedo gear in tranny case - help! (criz51)

Looking at an empty muncie case, there is nothing to keep the gear from rolling or sliding foward into the main case. Odds are it will get picked up by the trans fluid and pulled into the gears. Once this happens, the small pieces of plastic will probably find there way into the bearings and synchronizers. I don't think it will hurt the gears but not sure about the bearing and synchronizers. I doubt you could find it by taking off the side cover. You might be able to take off the side cover, shifter, remove four mounting bolts, remove rear mount and rotate transmission so side cover is pointing down. Maybe it will come out with the fluid and maybe not. :sad:
Old 09-03-2003, 09:00 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Lost speedo gear in tranny case - help! (vettemack)

Mine did something similiar to yours back in the spring. I wound up pulling the driveshaft out, and then pulling the tail shaft off the the tranny as far as I could. Then I could see the gear had just slipped off of its retainer and was riding the output shaft. I wound up going to a junk yard and getting a speedo gear retainer and just sliding everything back into place. All has been well since then. More than 2000 miles.

Edit: I reread your post. I thought you lost the gear on the output shaft. Sorry. You should still be able to pull the back half of the tranny off and get the small gear out of there.

[Modified by Eddie 70, 9:03 AM 9/3/2003]
Old 09-03-2003, 09:55 AM
James
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Lost speedo gear in tranny case - help! (Eddie 70)

Like Eddie said you may have to pull the tail shaft housing off a little and see if you can fish the gear out.
Don't pull it all of the way off or else you will have problems getting it back together!!!!!!
You should be able to move it back about 1/4 of inch or more without having a problem.
Something in the tail housing falls out of position when you pull off the tail housing completely and you will be in trouble.
You do need to get it out.

Get notified of new replies

To Lost speedo gear in tranny case - help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lost speedo gear in tranny case - help!