C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the *#*#* is that noise!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 09:35 AM
bronctwo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What the *#*#* is that noise!!

I have a show condition 81 with 49000 orig miles.Im hearing a roaring coming from the rear end seems to get louder the further I drive.I've changed out all the universals and rear end fluid level is full.Wheel bearings is all I can think of?any other sugestions?If it is the bearings,is that something I can do?I checked a shop he wanted $240 each :eek: is it really that much of a job?
Old 08-25-2003, 11:42 AM
vettemack
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: What the *#*#* is that noise!! (bronctwo)

Rear wheel bearing are APITA!! If they are roaring, then it's probably to late for grease. If you wait to long, the bearing will lock up on the spindle. Can you say $$$
It generally requires special tools to press the spindle out of the spindle support. You can see pictures of this tool in magazines like Ecklers etc. I beat mine out with wooden block and hammer but don't necessarly recomend this. You will need a bearing puller to remove the old bearing.
It will require setup tools to shim the new bearing and to set them to the correct clearance. The idea is to set them with very little clearance (.001-.002) so the rotor does not wabble causing brake problems. It is a trial and fit setup without a tool. I took an old spindle which a locked bearing had ruined, cut off the outer flange, put it in a lathe and sanded until the bearings would just slide on and off. I then used this to find my bearing spacing.
I believe Chevrolet dealers get eight hours labor to grease the bearing.
There is also a tool which is advertised to grease the bearings but this only greases the inner bearing.
Good luck

Quick Reply: What the *#*#* is that noise!!