C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPI guys, I have some questions for you all......

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 07:06 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default TPI guys, I have some questions for you all......

I have a TPI on a Firebird that I am thinking of buying from a friend, which would include the intake, injectors, rails, distributor, wiring harness, computer, and anything else you guys tell me I would need. What all would I need to get, and he needs me to make him an offer, so what is a used TPI complete setup worth? What did you guys pay for yours? If I get this thing bought all of the install questions will come later. :cool:

-Justin
Old 08-25-2003, 08:14 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: TPI guys, I have some questions for you all...... (Dalannex)

OK, several variations of those units, first off, they came either one of 2 differant ways....with MAP or MAF sensors, the Manifold Absolute Pressure (vacuum) units are much easier to install, but slightly harder to set up with a programme.....install ease is just put an oval K/N filter on the t-body and have over with it all....Mass Air Flow means a large pipe plumbing problem, and it's solvable, but you gotta get creative, to me...don't bother with that MAF route....

another variation is the use in the earlier models of yet a 9th injector, that was for the cold start function...later models had just wider pulse width in the 8 running injectors....
and therefore are a bit easier to deal with....

largest worth/price variation to ME is the condition of the cosmetics, are the runners undented?? how is the factory finish??? all dinged up and scraped off??? badly discolored....??? may need to polish the entire setup, taking off that factory finish....expensive and time cnsuming....

the original computer and harness is nearly useless, EXCEPT for the wiring and ends for the various sending units on the engine....and of course the injectors....carefully stripping back the taping and redoing the wiring is most likely what you want to do, unless you got hundreds of bux for aftermarket harnesses.....

the computer you most likely want to run is a 1227730 computer, as it's the best/easiest install....inside the car....but you have to plot a route you like through the firewall.....

OK, as to value....2-300 if in dirty condition or bent up runners....
5-700 if good and clean undented condition.....and the injectors are good, as in you hear engine running.....

don't forget you will need a complete gasket set for about 35 bux at auto zone, and then a complete set of O rings for all the injuectors, and fuel lines, etc......helps to count out all that stuff.....as sometimes they get silly in the parts counts....

GENE
Old 08-25-2003, 10:18 AM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: TPI guys, I have some questions for you all...... (mrvette)

I concur with MRVETTE. I have a nice unit to sell, but EBAY prices are down right now. I have a speed-density setup on mine. Even if your unit is an early one, you can get rid of the 9th injector and the MAF and convert to speed-density. I put my ECM in the rear storage compartment, but after seeing some discussion I would now put it under the radio. I would pay the extra for a new aftermarket harness, just me. Lastly, there are 2 different intake bolt configurations 85-86 and Corvette (aluminum heads) use angled center bolts like the rest, 87 up F-body has the straight up center bolts.

[Modified by markdtn, 9:19 AM 8/25/2003]
Old 08-25-2003, 10:35 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: TPI guys, I have some questions for you all...... (markdtn)

i concur with the others,but you can get around using the 87 up on older heads by drilling the center intake holes on angle to fit.I did mine.Heres a good website also to learn. http://www.chevythunder.com/index.htm

[Modified by patsnitrovette, 10:36 AM 8/25/2003]
Old 08-25-2003, 08:57 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Default Re: TPI guys, I have some questions for you all...... (patsnitrovette)

Thanks guys. The unit is real nice, and it runs like a dream. The car has some body damage and my friend wants the 350 to add a carb to and the 5 speed. He doesn't want the TPI and we are talking $250 for the TPI components. So I need to look it over and if it has a MAF I don't want it, or can I make a MAF system work or convert it to speed density???? And the wiring harness, I can untape it, use the wires I need, reloom them and make something that works there? And mrvette, where would I find the particular number of ECM that you listed above?????

-Justin
Old 08-25-2003, 09:59 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

maf isnt junk at all,its just a little more work getting the maf air duct and air filter to fit right.maf will work better when using aftermarket cams and heads and such better then speed density because you wont have to keep making changes to the prom like you would like speed density.If you get a maf setup yes you can convert it over to speed density if thats what you want also.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:30 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Default Re: TPI guys, I have some questions for you all...... (patsnitrovette)

I don't mean to totally disparage the MAF systems, but when that plumbing and the extra wiring, and so forth much less if the MAF fails, the replacement cost, and then the restricted airflow....I dunno if all that is worth the hassle....most guys agree with me....but Pat is totally correct in that the system is more amenable to cams/engine changes without reprogramming...
but then again, I"m happy enough with the programme I have....off the shelf...

the computer I recommend #1227730 is about common as green grass at most junkyards, about ten bux each....ME, I picked up a bunch of them through the years, and they all are tested and occationally switched out just to make sure I have backups.....they quit making them about ten years ago...so NOW is the time....all sorts of V6 cars came with them...3.1 chebby's....

OH, and for 250 bux, you can hear it run well, and you get to pull it out cleanly.....snicker, steal of the century.....DO IT!!!!

GENE

[Modified by mrvette, 11:32 PM 8/25/2003]
Old 08-26-2003, 01:46 AM
timbo79
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

about 2700 for all... painted unit.. large runners, fuel pump, fuel lines, harness (custom) ECU, all sensors, EGR (79 in CA) I wanted looks. Installing this weekend. Speed density. 24# injectors. 70mm throttle body

Yes Gene, I spent alot, but I like the look and the quality is there. I really did not want dented runners, or a shabby looking under hood. I will keep people posted as I go...

Oh also included Lokar cables and mounting brackets.. new distributor and chrome 90 swivel water neck...

[Modified by timbo79, 1:49 AM 8/26/2003]
Old 08-26-2003, 06:16 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Default Re: TPI guys, I have some questions for you all...... (timbo79)

Timbo, I see you have the FIRST system there, and yes it does look nice, especially that slick red finish....I see where you get the 70mm t-body measurement, I think of dual 58mm as the largest, but of course that's a stock system.....I really need someday to get my system cleaned up and powder coated, it's allmost as tired as I am.....

maybe next year....

GENE
Old 08-26-2003, 07:12 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Default Re: TPI guys, I have some questions for you all...... (mrvette)

Ok guys. When the guy with the car gets back from vacation I'll see what I can do about getting this bought. Thanks. BTW, Timbo, that TPI unit looks great. :cool:

-Justin
Old 08-26-2003, 10:17 AM
timbo79
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Torch Red Paint I had put on was very inexpensive. The Chrome units that go through Street and Performance are outrageously priced, and to get the FIRST unit chromed was outrageous. THis was an inexpensive alternative and matches the car as well.

Good Luck
Old 08-26-2003, 11:32 AM
Master Ho
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a complete setup like you described, plus the fuel tank pick up, for $600 at a local Shriners Swap meet.

Get notified of new replies

To TPI guys, I have some questions for you all......

Quick Reply: TPI guys, I have some questions for you all......