C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'77 Hood Removal Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 12:20 AM
MarkV
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '77 Hood Removal Question

I'm getting ready to do a complete overhall on my AC system. Everything will be new including the VIR assembly and the evaporator etc. etc.. I'm going to have to remove the hood in order to be able to install the new condenser. Also, when I remove the old original condenser, I'll be removing the radiator in order to have it checked out & cleaned (replaced if needed). My question is should I leave the hood hinges on the hood and unbolt it from the body or should I leave the hinges on the body and remove the hinges from the hood? Which is the best way to go? I know how bad these things can be when it comes to re-installing them and getting them to align properly. Oh, and yes, I do know to mark the outline of the hood hinges with a pencil before you unbolt it!! :eek: :eek:

[Modified by MarkV, 12:20 AM 8/25/2003]
Old 08-25-2003, 12:25 AM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: '77 Hood Removal Question (MarkV)

I just marked their position and unbolted the hinges from the hood. I can't picture the bottom of the hinge in my head, but maybe it's easier that way? I was taking it off to remove the condensor as well.

-Chris
Old 08-25-2003, 10:19 AM
Packy76
Instructor

Default Re: '77 Hood Removal Question (RUXperienced)

Yeh you got it as long as tou mark the positions it goes to gether pretty well, I removed all the hinges and brackrts and paited them up nice and replaced it all with no proble, I think I bolted the the hinges to the body first then placed the hood on with the help of a friend I left the hardware somewhat snug then closed the hood gently and moved it to align it with the fenders ,its not too heavy but i did put some protective cloth around the perimeter of the front end just in case
Old 08-25-2003, 11:49 AM
Mack
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: '77 Hood Removal Question (MarkV)

I would have sworn that I pulled the hinges with the hood, but if you look at this picture, you can see a hinge sticking up on the left. What I remember for sure is that I marked the hinge positions and I was surprised that it fit back together without having to do any adjustments.

That's not me... That's my son in the pic BTW. :p:
Old 08-25-2003, 12:11 PM
Packy76
Instructor

Default Re: '77 Hood Removal Question (Mack76)

I like that fender cover where did you get it? I used blankets and taped them on ....it worked but yours is sweet
Old 08-25-2003, 12:21 PM
Mack
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: '77 Hood Removal Question (Packy76)

Somebody was selling them here a couple years ago. I can't remember who it was. Juliet probably knows, because they used her car as a pattern. It works great. It's in three pieces and once you put it on, it stays put.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:03 PM
Kingt
Racer

Default Re: '77 Hood Removal Question (Mack76)

If you are not worried about originality you can drill two small holes (1/8")in the hinge and hood. Use about a 1/8" drill bit when you reinstall the hood or use two roll pins and you'll have the exact alignment as before.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:29 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: '77 Hood Removal Question (Packy76)

This is a cool fender cover. But why does it have headlight holes? (At least I assume they're holes.)
Old 08-25-2003, 05:40 PM
Mack
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: '77 Hood Removal Question (The Dude)

Because I think it was made by a company who makes bras. The front piece is the top of a bra. The two sides were special made to cover the fenders.

Get notified of new replies

To '77 Hood Removal Question

Quick Reply: '77 Hood Removal Question