C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with stereo install

Old 08-24-2003, 07:44 PM
Ron 75 L48
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help with stereo install

I am putting an aftermarket stereo in my '75 and of course nothing ever goes smooth! :( I am putting a JVC in and what is happening is when I turn on the power the unit powers up and immediately turns off. It does have power because when I push the display button the clock comes on. I have connected the 3 wires for the power, red to hot lead, black to ground, and yellow to the accessories lead. I am hoping that someone else has run into this problem and can help me with this one. Thanks.

:flag
Ron
Old 08-24-2003, 08:34 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Need help with stereo install (Ron 75 L48)

This is just a guess but do you have the yellow hooked to a source that it always hot, even with the key off? I think the red should only be hot when the key is either on or in the acc position. The wire for the memory should be connected to a source that is always hot.

Make sure you dont have the memory wire mixed up with the remote wire. The remote wire is what would operate a power antenna or turn on an extra amp. Just some ideas off the top of my head. Its hard to troubleshoot not knowing exactly what you have there. Good luck.

[Modified by Jvette73, 7:34 PM 8/24/2003]
Old 08-24-2003, 11:13 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Disconnect all your speaker wires at the receiver. If the unit stays on then you probably have a speaker wire or terminal touching a ground. If it still turns off, pack it up and send it back.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:59 AM
Ron 75 L48
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Need help with stereo install (LAvetteman)

John - I'm pretty sure that I have the yellow connected to a constant power source because I have power to the display when I select display.

I will try the disconnecting the speakers and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Ron
Old 08-25-2003, 07:54 PM
Ron 75 L48
Melting Slicks

Well I disconnected all of the speaker wires and I still get the same symptom. It will power up and then shut itself off. Anyone have any other ideas what may be happening here? :confused:

Thanks,
Ron
Old 08-25-2003, 11:36 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Look for this symptom in the problem/solution section in the manual of the reciever. Or call whom ever you bought it from for tech support. This is why I buy my equipment from Crutchfield. Knowledgeable tech support and if the unit is bad, there is another on its way before you can remove the defective one and package it up.
Old 08-26-2003, 06:51 AM
Ron 75 L48
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Need help with stereo install (LAvetteman)

Look for this symptom in the problem/solution section in the manual of the reciever. Or call whom ever you bought it from for tech support. This is why I buy my equipment from Crutchfield. Knowledgeable tech support and if the unit is bad, there is another on its way before you can remove the defective one and package it up.
Thanks. I have been all over the troubleshooting section. I guess I need to start looking at Crutchfield.

Ron

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with stereo install

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help with stereo install