C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 07:02 PM
Bobchad
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Aluminum Water Pump

I'm looking to replace the water pump on my 77 and would like to go with aluminum. I am looking at the Stewart product line. If I understand them, the Stage 1 line is cast iron with part number 13103 being the correct application. The Stage 2 line is aluminum with part # 23103 being the correct application. Stage 2 indicates that they are high flow. I have read that high flow is not necessary for a fairly stock engine and can even decrease the cooling moving the water through the radiator too quickly.

Can someone comment on this and any other aluminum water pumps that would provide good value? I've also been looking at the Edelbrock Victor Series. I ran across an article by Hib Halverson where he was high on these units. The GMPP aluminum water pump got good marks as well, though I can't find that one anywhere. Do you just go to the Chevy dealer?

Bob
Old 08-24-2003, 07:29 PM
phxraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Aluminum Water Pump (Bobchad)

I would go with the Edelbrock Victor series, they come standard or polished. :cheers: :seeya
Old 08-24-2003, 07:30 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

On my bigblock I have a aluminum high flow TRW water pump and run it 30% overdrive as well. I also do not run a thermostat and have no problems with keeping my blown bigblock cool. In fact it sometimes runs too cool even on a hot day.
I like high flow everything including my oil pump.
Old 08-25-2003, 12:02 AM
Barry's70LT1
Drifting

Received 838 Likes on 245 Posts

I have been using a Aluminum Stewart for about eight years now.
It works great !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2003, 12:33 AM
szercer
Instructor

Default Re: Aluminum Water Pump (Barry's70LT1)

anyone know weight difference between stock and aluminum pumps? small block... or bb
Old 08-25-2003, 01:37 AM
Steve Grodin
Burning Brakes

I went with the Elelbrock after trying to get the Stewart to work. Keept blowing out the gasket.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:01 AM
dath
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Aluminum Water Pump (Steve Grodin)

I went with the Elelbrock after trying to get the Stewart to work. Keept blowing out the gasket.
Are you talking about the block to pump gaskets? How did the gasket blow out? Did you use RTV? Just a curiosity as I may be shopping for a water pump for my small block sometime in the next year or so...
Old 08-25-2003, 06:01 AM
Bobchad
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Aluminum Water Pump (dath)

Another thing I noticed about the Stewart is that it requires a special thermostat. All things being eqaul between the Edelbrock and the Stewart, I think I would have to go with the unit thta doesn't require extra work.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:50 AM
Steve Grodin
Burning Brakes

It was the block to pump gasket. We contacted Stewart and they said they never had that problem. Sent the pump back and got a refund. Installed the Edelbrock with everything the SAME and haven't had any problems. That has been three years now.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:05 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Another thing I noticed about the Stewart is that it requires a special thermostat. All things being eqaul between the Edelbrock and the Stewart, I think I would have to go with the unit thta doesn't require extra work.
They just require a high flow thermostat. If a stock thermostat is used then it could restrict flow canceling out the benefit of a high flow pump. Any high flow pump should be used only with a high flow 'stat.

tom...
Old 08-25-2003, 10:09 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Default Re: Aluminum Water Pump (Tom73)

Check out this page on the Stewart site:
http://www.stewartcomponents.com/htm...comparison.asp

it is a comparison of the Stewart water pump to their "leading competitors" water pump. Take it with a grain of salt as it was Stewart doing the testing, but it may point up some real differences.

tom...

Get notified of new replies

To Aluminum Water Pump

Quick Reply: Aluminum Water Pump