C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'80 Driveline of a different color

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 05:18 PM
mnow
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '80 Driveline of a different color

Heya everyone, hope your summer is going great, and the vettes are rolling!
In my 1980 4-spd. manual, it seems I have 2 different size u-joints, with the front being signifigantly smaller than the rear in the driveline. All the part houses I go to tell me these should be the same size. So far everything I've pulled off the car has been factory, but this could be something bubba'd I fear. Has anyone else run across this? :confused:
Thanks in advance!
Old 08-24-2003, 05:19 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: '80 Driveline of a different color (mnow)

all manual 80 & 81s and all 82's use the bigger stub axles (side yokes on diff) and the big block 1/2 shafts. driveshaft and input yoke are same as others (the small ones)
Old 08-24-2003, 05:44 PM
mnow
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: '80 Driveline of a different color (Twin_Turbo)

Yeah on the halfshafts, the joints are all the same. The oddball is the forward-most joint on the driveshaft, which is smaller yet. I'm stumped over this one. If it is bubba'd they must have looked high and low to get a driveline (propeller shaft) that would be both a match in length, and have yokes to fit the dana44 in back, and tranny up front.. why not just put in a stock one, and save some energy in the looking? I dont see any welds on the shaft, that might indicate that something was pieced together at a shop....

Get notified of new replies

To '80 Driveline of a different color

Quick Reply: '80 Driveline of a different color