C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'75 differential yoke

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 03:07 PM
vinsand
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '75 differential yoke

I have removed the differential from my '75 in hopes of putting c-ring on the right yoke and reinstalling it. The right yoke had excessive play - it slid in and out of the diff about 1/2 inch.

The left yoke has a c-ring and the right does not even have a slot for it. Is it supposed to?

The second problem is that the inside end of the yoke has been free to bang into whatever is stopping it on the inside - a rod of some sort about 1" D. this seems to have mushroomed the end, though it is not noticeable. THe thing will not slie out, though. It is supposed to slide out once the (non-existant) c-ring is off, right?

Third issue. I plead ignorance. How do I free up the positraction to rotate the yoke - the other one - to get to the c-ring. The posi clutch prevents me from rotating the yokes in different directions or at different speeds.

HELP. :confused:
Old 08-24-2003, 04:12 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: '75 differential yoke (vinsand)

your yoke has worn to the point that the groove is completely gone.

The center pin in the posi case (which the toke butt face rides against) is eaten away too and when burred can be a major pita to take out. There's 2 clips on that pin also. The yoke will slide out, just pull it hard. Because the end is worn it's mishroomed too and gets caught in the spline grooves.

Why do you want to rotate the yoke? just take the driveshaft off and rotate the whole posi case by turning the yoke.

Here's the yokes:

both have a groove as you can see.
Here's the center pin (this is an 82 alu diff, it's slightly different in that it uses locking tabs instead of a spring loaded plate to hold the clutches)

You can pull your yokes to the point where they get caught in the spline grooves seen here:

Marck

[Modified by Twin_Turbo, 3:15 PM 8/24/2003]
Old 08-24-2003, 05:08 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Your rear end NEEDS a rebuild ALL the metal from the bad yoke has been floating around your posi plates and bearings. Let whoever you chose to rebuild it get the yoke out (of course a big hammer will do the job). And start with 2- rebuilt yokes.
...redvetracr
Old 08-24-2003, 05:13 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,338 Posts

As stated, the yoke ends are worn out. You should have under .040" endplay on a decent used set. Get a set of rebuilt yokes from places like Bair's,Muskegon,Van steel,etc. They should cost about $65-$70 for hardened tips.
Drive out the side yoke with a brass drift. The problem with worn yokes is the metal that was ground down has no place to go but into your oil, then the bearings. Some people just install new yokes then replace the rear end. I like to rebuild it using a kit.
If you have an engine stand you can mount the differential to it by the strut rod bracket holes.
Good luck,
Gary

[Modified by gtr1999, 5:15 PM 8/24/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To '75 differential yoke

Quick Reply: '75 differential yoke