C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

radio replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 11:53 AM
maccc
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio replacement

I just got a '71 conv in may. Sometime in the '80s the radio was replaced /w an aftermarket k-mart blue light special :( . I do not have the orig radio.I was thinking of putting in a new radio (alphine), with speaker, (4x6 in dash, 6x9 in the kick plates, 8" sub and amp. Has anyone done this in the past. Looking for a bracket for the radio on the dash.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:23 PM
maccc
4th Gear

Default Re: radio replacement (maccc)

:confused:
Old 08-27-2003, 10:41 PM
12stepvette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07
Default Re: radio replacement (maccc)

I replaced my Bubba2000 radio with a USA-3...nice fit, Didnt have to modify the original gauge Bezel and its 64 watts per channel...has a fake Analog looking dial when turned off, But is totally digital and has Preouts for an Amp. Added a Sound bar accross the back and replaced the 5" rounds with Pioneers...6x4`s in the kick panels.Great sound but not enough low end in my opinion without an amp.
Alpine and Kenwood make some nice units that fit in the original cutouts...but I doubt you`ll be able to get 6x9`s in the kick panels...6x4 low profiles just barely make it.

-la-
Old 08-27-2003, 11:37 PM
75Rag
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: radio replacement (12stepvette)

I've got 4x6's in the dash and kicks, (pioneer and rockford fosgate respectively) I built a box that fits under the vert top and it holds two 6" rounds and an 8" sub. I power it all with a 500w Kenwood and I sit a cd changer and the amp on the base of the box. I'm happy

Lemme know if you want any pics ...

Michael
Old 08-28-2003, 01:23 AM
Jay M
Drifting

Default Re: radio replacement (75Rag)

if you search some corvette junk yards you can find a center cluster that has already been cut to fit a modern type radio. They are worth less because they have been cut up :) I think $50 is the going rate. This way you don't need to ruin your cluster.

~Jay

Old 08-28-2003, 06:03 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: radio replacement (12stepvette)

I just took a Kenwood (Modded by custom auto sound) direct fit out and put the original radio back in.. It sounds much better than the kenwood.. don't waste you momey on one of those ... it is an $89 radio that costs $280 because it is modified to fit a corvette dash. what a joke .. :rant:

Get notified of new replies

To radio replacement

Quick Reply: radio replacement