C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help removing tie rod ends from spindles

Old 08-24-2003, 10:51 AM
75 BBC Stingray
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help removing tie rod ends from spindles

I'm disassembling the fron suspension this weekend, and on the passenger side, I can't get the tie rod off. I pulled the cotter pin, and started to turn the castle nut, but the whole thing spins! (threaded shaft and nut together). This was not the case on the driver's side. What do you grip for anti-rotation to get that off? I will cut it if that is my only option, but I'd rather not...

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-24-2003, 11:09 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Help removing tie rod ends from spindles (75 BBC Stingray)

that ball joint is severely shot if the bal rotates in the pocket. What you can do is grind a slot in the pin (on the top) and use a screwdriver to hold the shaft.
Old 08-24-2003, 12:09 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 741 Likes on 518 Posts

Default Re: Help removing tie rod ends from spindles (Twin_Turbo)

Hammer your pickle fork in there and give the nut a turn. Keep taping the fork in to keep the ball joint from turning. You may be just caught up on a bad thread. You definitely need to change the ball joint so rip it a new one. :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:
Old 08-24-2003, 06:05 PM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just went through the same thing on my 81 this weekend. Do as said above, hammer the pickle fork in and then try and turn the nut it worked for me. If the nut is turning the stud then the ball joint is shot anyway so you will not hurt it at all. Good luck. :seeya
Old 08-24-2003, 06:57 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Help removing tie rod ends from spindles (Richard Cooper)

I use a press / seperator instead of a pickle fork.

Go to http://www.harborfrieght.com and look for this - http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=36861

I also use a similar tool for ball joints. -- A couple of turns and "POP !" all done. No mess, no stress and it doesn't destroy the dust boots.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:51 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Help removing tie rod ends from spindles (BSeery)

All good ways to do it. Do you know how lucky you are to be doing this job instead of seeing the results of the ball coming out of the socket. Somebody watched over you today.

Old 08-25-2003, 08:52 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I'm assuming a tie rod here. Put a pry bar in there and pull to the side against the tapered stud. It should lock it tight enough to get the nut off. You can also put a jack under it and the weight will lock the tapered stud in the steering arm. The jack and the prybar will also work for a lower ball joint.

Mike :)
Old 08-25-2003, 12:07 PM
Kevin_73
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Since the tie rod end is shot, do yourself a favor and go purchase a nut splitter.
As the name implies, it will split the nut into two neat little peices and you will not have to worry about securing the tie rod end from spinning while you are trying to turn it.
The new tie rod end should come with a new nut anyway.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:07 AM
75 BBC Stingray
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the responses.
In the end, to maintain my work momentumn, I just undid the spindle from the upper A-arm, then disconnected the lower A-arm from the frame. This allowed a better positioning of the tie rod end to work on. By dropping the spindle to the ground, the angle of the tie rod was much sharper. This ended up "binding" the shaft of the tie rod in the spindle steering arm allowing me to loosen the nut. Oh yeah, I used lots of liquid wrench too!!!

So, the front suspension is completely off, the rear has the spring out, and passenger side shock mount off. (The driver's side won't budge...yet!!!) Once I complete the rear suspension, I have the steering setup, the gas tank, and the misc. tubes to remove and the frame is ready for dipping!!!

:hurray:

Get notified of new replies

To Help removing tie rod ends from spindles

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help removing tie rod ends from spindles