C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

75 "Stingray" fender script question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 01:41 AM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Default 75 "Stingray" fender script question?

Sorry that this is such a trivial question, but I am cleaning up all the trim for installation and have run into a situation with the fender script pieces. I noticed the "Corvette" script appears to be slightly raised from a base and the base may have been painted black to make the lettering stand out. Any new ones I have seen in catalogs appear to be all chrome and without this raised feature. If the base is to be painted black do any of you have a method for doing this? I think even with a small artist brush I would be at this for hours, there must be an easy way :banghead: :confused:
Old 08-24-2003, 01:52 AM
MN 72 454
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 75 "Stingray" fender script question? (Big Fish)

My wife sprayed them with satin black Krylon the went over the raised parts with 00 steel wool and they look really good. it took her about an hour.
Old 08-24-2003, 05:45 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Do a search for juliet, go to her 70 registry site and there are som pictures of the original compared to the repro's
Old 08-24-2003, 09:47 PM
dman535
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: 75 "Stingray" fender script question? (bluevetteman)

There are acutally two different "Stingray" Emblems. 69-73 was one style and 74-76 was another. The earlier ones used 4 mounting studs, the later were self adhesive.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:33 PM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe I have an original emblem on my 75 and it does have the black backing. You could try the trick I used for painting the manual stick shift center column black where the shift position diagram is located. I used grease to cover the chome, then painted, and before the paint dried I wiped the paint off from the chrome. It didn't work as well as I wanted and I had to use a cloth and some paint thinner to remove some of it...as a result a little of the paint at the edge of the chrome is stained a bit.

What I think would work best would be some of that stuff that dentists use to create a dental "tray" for using whitening formulas. It spreads on like paste and dries into a plastic like material. Then it can be trimmed properly for a perfect template to place over the emblems...as I recall there are two...and as such I'm sure it would be quite a task to hand paint the black backing on each one.
Old 08-24-2003, 11:19 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Thankyou all for your replies. I finally got through this project, took a while but here's what I did. First emblem I painted the whole thing, then scraped off the paint to create the outline effect with an xacto knife. Turned out OK but had to touch up a bit where I got some paint scraped off from the outline areas. Second emblem I painted the outline with an artist brush, seemed to take about the same amount of time as the scrape off method. Maybe there really isn't an easy way to restore the outlining on these, but I did manage to get the job done. Now I have to get some kind of double sided tape to apply the emblems, and it does need to be black. Looks like I will have at least 4 hours in this project by the time it's over. I wonder how they did these at the factory? Can't imagine them burning up this kind of time in such a small part of the whole car.

Get notified of new replies

To 75 "Stingray" fender script question?

Quick Reply: 75 "Stingray" fender script question?