C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to forum and Corvettes-some questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 10:20 PM
jobberone
jobberone
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default New to forum and Corvettes-some questions

Just bought a 74 with supposed matching numbers sight unseen 350/manual. Car being shipped mid week coming and does not run. Have a good 71 rebuilt 396. Can I drop this in to drive the car while I go thru and rebuild the original 350? Or is the swap a big HA? Sorry for the ignorance but I hoped some seasoned advice would beat reading some books hands down. Thanks for any time you have.

Read this and realized how bad it sounded. Didn't mean for it to sound like I wasn't going to read. Just advice on how difficult the swap was.

[Modified by jobberone, 3:44 AM 8/24/2003]
Old 08-23-2003, 10:56 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: New to forum and Corvettes-some questions (jobberone)

I don't think I have run across anyone on this forum(C-3) who has dropped a 396 into a '70's vette. Unless you think it will take a long time to rebuild the 350 I would say that you could be just wasting alot of money. There are different radiators for the 350's & 454's due to cooling issues and you will definitely have to find headers to work(or custom pipe work) to adapt the 396 to your existing exhaust system. And then you'll have to undo it to drop the 350 back in. You also may have issues with the water pump, pulleys & flex fan as vettes have short waterpumps. Motor mounts? I really don't know. A different flywheel?

I don't know if it will work... just throwing out some of the potential problems.
Old 08-23-2003, 11:28 PM
jobberone
jobberone
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: New to forum and Corvettes-some questions (bgrice)

Thanks for the reply. Checked some numbers again and realized I probably have a 402BB not 396 altho not sure that makes a difference. I assume there must be a difference in engine mounts, bell housing patterns, etc with the 396, 402 and 454.

Thought it would be a HA but I've never swapped engines before esp one with substantially more torque. I was worried more about transmission, driveshaft, exhaust, linkage, accessories yada yada. Didn't know enough to even think about the radiator.

Of course all this is speculation until I see the car. It's supposed to be in good shape/no rust but even tho I don't have much in it, the car may be in such bad shape it'll be difficult and expensive to restore. I could even end up shipping it back.

I'm doing this with my oldest child who thinks it's no big deal to swap engines. Just take that one out and put that one in, Dad! And are you almost done so I can drive it?

If everything checks out ok, I think we'll take the lazy river and just go thru the 350 real well. Thanks again. I'm real excited about owning my first Vette. Even if it doesn't run yet.
Old 08-24-2003, 01:47 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

jobberone,

Where did you buy your first vette that you have not seen it yet? Don't take that wrong as both vettes I own were bought off of E-bay unseen. The '74 has not been a fun experience as it was totally misrepresented. That was before E-bay gave rights to sellers to offer to items as a second chance to buyers who were bidders in an auction and the reserve was not met or the high bidder can't live up to the obligations. The '71 has faired alot better.

Post some pictures of the vette when you get it and take the time to participate on this forum. We all run into different things with these C-3's, but sooner or later we all run into a post and say to ourselves.... "I've been there!".... and we are able to help others with their projects. I wish you luck.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:58 AM
Tired74
Instructor

I am also restoring a 1974. Huge undertaking as the frame was non existant. I have a new frame now and am currently putting every nut and bolt back into it. Keep us posted with tips and questions. I investigated the engine swap choices as well and it would seem the vote is towards crate engines.

Tired74
Old 08-24-2003, 09:19 AM
jobberone
jobberone
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: New to forum and Corvettes-some questions (Tired74)

I suspect we will end up with a frame off storation as well, but we'll see. I've looked at some of the crate engines, but I think we'll go with the original motor unless the block is cracked. If so I'm probably going to ship it back. I don't believe I want to do that much work for a non-matching car, even a less desirable one.

How much value do you lose when you restore a car to excellent condition but end up with a non-matching motor? Say in this instance we put a ZZ4 in the car, all else original, NOS, and/or a minimum of replacement parts. BTW, I know where I can get a 72 454/425 apparently out of a non-restorable Chevelle. Everything is there but the air breather and pictures look decent. Would this be a better value in the end as an original 74 except the 350 replaced with an appropriate period but non-matching 454 engine vs a replacement 350 crate engine?

Thanks again for all the help and I will keep you posted. Good luck with your restoration. May I ask which 74 you are restoring and how it's going? Best Michael
Old 08-24-2003, 09:29 AM
jobberone
jobberone
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: New to forum and Corvettes-some questions (Tired74)

Thanks for your reply as well. Mine was bought off eBay and at least was currently titled in FL altho could easily be from anywhere.

I knew I was taking a chance without inspecting it first, but I had a pretty good experience with buying another car on eBay as well so I took the plunge. Hope the waters deep enough.

I'll post some pictures next week. Hopefully I won't have a major problem when it gets here, but I'm prepared for the worse and hoping for the best.

I do hope to participate in the forum and ya'll have already made me feel welcome. I'm going to explore looking into a local club as well. Thanks again and talk to you later. Best Michael
Old 08-24-2003, 10:19 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A 396-402 is the same as a 427/454 as far a fit... but all of the brackets for the accessories are unique to corvette as are the exhaust manifolds. Nothing works except corvette manifolds or headers. All of the other things metioned are considerations. While it is basicaly a bolt in, you need lots of parts that are hard to find and expensive. Not too practical for short term use.
Old 08-24-2003, 11:06 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't think I have run across anyone on this forum(C-3) who has dropped a 396 into a '70's vette.
... There are different radiators for the 350's & 454's due to cooling issues and you will definitely have to find headers to work(or custom pipe work) to adapt the 396 to your existing exhaust system.
396/402 is not an issue, same as other BBs, no problem.
BBs generate a lot more heat.

A 396-402 is the same as a 427/454 as far a fit... but all of the brackets for the accessories are unique to corvette as are the exhaust manifolds. Nothing works except corvette manifolds or headers. ... Not too practical for short term use.
Agree.

Since you want the 350, you could rebuild as fast & be done.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:59 PM
jobberone
jobberone
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: New to forum and Corvettes-some questions (Ganey)

Thanks to you Ganey and Bluevetteman. I think I'll take your advice.
Old 08-24-2003, 05:16 PM
Jack71
Drifting

Say in this instance we put a ZZ4 in the car, all else original, NOS, and/or a minimum of replacement parts.
Hi, I don't intend to be disrespectful to you or anybody else in your position, but I'd like to ask why you chose a 74 to restore? Noted, I'm not aware of its current condition or how much its in need of.

The devil is details and it costs about the same to restore a 74 vs an early year. Like door pulls, window cranks, all those little parts cost same. A finnished 74 is nice, but if you're concerned about value then I'd try to find something with a higher resale value when your done.

BTW, I had a 74 and loved the car. I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons you are doing it too though...

Good luck & enjoy it!
Old 08-24-2003, 07:10 PM
jobberone
jobberone
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: New to forum and Corvettes-some questions (Jack71)

I'm not sure I'll be doing a total frame off. I hope not because you are right. It will not be a very valuable car either ever or for a relatively long time.

I'm really doing it because it's the one my son liked and I'm trying to bond more with him. I'm sure I'll like the finished project (if it's doable), but time spent with him doing something we both like is the real project.

I hope he'll be content with just getting it looking good and stay interested, then we can do something on a car with a greater return on money.

I just hope it's not a rust bucket that I end up getting stuck with. At this point in time I'm not sure I can avoid doing something with it. There's some history I'm hoping to repair along with the car.

It may turn out to be the most valuable car I've ever had.

Thanks for sharing with me. Truly. It's helpful sometimes to write out your thoughts. The reflection occasionally is different than the echo in your head.

Best Michael
Old 08-24-2003, 11:02 PM
Jack71
Drifting

Value is the worth in usefulness or importance to the possessor.
Sounds like a good deal to me.

:thumbs:
Old 08-25-2003, 11:24 PM
jobberone
jobberone
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: New to forum and Corvettes-some questions (Jack71)

Thanks. Should be here Wed or Thurs. I hope my excitement doesn't turn to shock. My kid is even more excited. Thanks again for the post.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:41 PM
jobberone
jobberone
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey! Well, looks like I've gotten into a mess. Seller disappeared via phone and not much by email. Same to the shipper who went by twice in two weeks. Someone from the shop took him to a junk yard and the 74 with VIN as advertised was there.

Problem was the hood was strapped on, an axle was broken, and the car was sitting in weeds and appeared to have been there for awhile. It didn't sound like the vehicle pictured in the ads.

So serious misrepresentation and I've reported it to eBay and I'm hopping mad.

Check my note saying Buyer Beware.

The good news is I bought an 89 that sounds great. 6sp with 87k on the car and 47k on a rebuild. It runs and only needs tires and AC conversion. Of course I've still got to get it, but I'm doing things a little differently.
Old 09-06-2003, 11:01 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A car misrepresented on Ebay?
If I had a nickle.....

Good luck on the '89!

Get notified of new replies

To New to forum and Corvettes-some questions

Quick Reply: New to forum and Corvettes-some questions