C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bubba's homemade gasket

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 08:16 PM
ykp53
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bubba's homemade gasket

thats me..... i have been having problems getting my headers to seal well. i have hooker side pipes. the pipes mounting flange has been cut between each pipe so basicly im dealling with 4 individual pipes per side. all will seal well except the back driver side pipe. i have bought the nicer gaskets but i still can not get it to sit right. is there anything saying i cant double up the gasket on this pipe? what are the disadvantages of doing this? will it blow out easier? would it help if i used rtv or some gasket sealer between them to help make them in to one unit? (o lord here i go with the rtv stuff). thanks for any info.
Old 08-23-2003, 11:41 PM
BB73Chris
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: bubba's homemade gasket (ykp53)

My dad and I could never get the header gaskets to seal on our old Toyota Landcruisers... he even made one from aluminum and knurled it to crush and it still blew out. Finally in a last ditch effort we tried that hi temp "ultra copper" rtv, a LOT of it on both sides of the gasket, and we've never had a problem since. We done it on the landcruisers with both straight 6's and smallblocks, a 71 chevy pickup with headers, my vette etc and not a leak in the world so far (knock on wood). I'd try that.
Old 08-24-2003, 12:00 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: bubba's homemade gasket (BB73Chris)

I would use the Hi-Temp RTV long before I would double up gaskets.

Get notified of new replies

To bubba's homemade gasket

Quick Reply: bubba's homemade gasket