C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Value without numbers

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 03:41 PM
RC73
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Value without numbers

I found a fairly nice 71, needs some small minor repairs, but nothing major, fiber optics, amp. gauge, small things and not that many. Question is, he is asking 12,500, but the engine was rebuilt and the numbers on the block pad was removed. He said it is the original engine but no proof. Everything being equal, how much does this decrease the value, and what would be a reasonable offer? other then what I listed, everything else in in very good condition. If the engine had the numbers, I would give him his asking price.
Old 08-23-2003, 03:56 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Value without numbers (C3RC)

At 12,500, the engine numbers aren't a big issue. What engine is it supposed to have? If it's not a rare motor, I wouldn't worry too much about it myself.
Old 08-23-2003, 04:11 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default Re: Value without numbers (A C)

The absence of those numbers would not faze me one bit. I have never been much on originality, anyway. Sounds like you found a nice car and he will probably let you have it for $12K or so.

Good luck! :)
Old 08-23-2003, 04:15 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Value without numbers (OHSIXX)

I am in agreement as well. The price is very good for a solid 71 w/out the pad stamp.
Old 08-23-2003, 04:19 PM
RC73
Pro

Default Re: Value without numbers (A C)

The engine is a 350, but it has been balance, blueprint, ported and polished etc. Thats the reason the numbers were removed, I guess it has something to with the process. Makes about 375 hp.
Old 08-23-2003, 11:01 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

The real question is: What do you want out of the car? If you're concerned about originality, don't buy it. If the matching numbers can not be proven, the numbers do not match. I'm in your neighborhood, so e-mail me if you want...
Old 08-23-2003, 11:15 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

There are alot of things you can verify on the engine without the serial number on the pad to prove it as at least the same year engine with heads. Here's a link with the engine block casting #, a way to find the date of the block and the heads(casting #'s) that should be on it.
http://www.71corvette.com/engine.html
Old 08-24-2003, 08:25 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

No biggie.................there are guys out there who will restamp a block for a nominal fee.
:yesnod: :lol: :yesnod:
The NCRS guys know all about them.
:lol:
Old 08-24-2003, 09:36 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: Value without numbers (MassVette)

No biggie.................there are guys out there who will restamp a block for a nominal fee.
:yesnod: :lol: :yesnod:
The NCRS guys know all about them.
:lol:
But they also know that a restamp without broach marks on the pad is an obvious fake, and a poor one at that.

Costs big bucks to redo broach marks :eek:
Old 08-24-2003, 12:12 PM
RC73
Pro

For eveyone that replied, thank you for your input. Originality is a concern for me, if somewhere down the line I want to restore it, then no numbers would be a problem. I will speak with the owner and if we can agree on a price we both feel comfortable with I may get it, still on the fence. I'm sure if I keep looking I will find the right one for me.
Old 08-24-2003, 12:16 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 755 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: Value without numbers (Mike Ward)

That is the price my original owner guy I bought my car from was asking. My car did not have the original motor in it but other than that the car is very solid. I offered him $11,500 and he accepted. No complaints 10,000+ miles later (of course I put a ZZ4 in it, couldn't help myself!!!!!).
Old 08-25-2003, 08:54 AM
68shark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Value without numbers (theandies)

If concerned about originality.....check to make sure it is the right casting number for your car and check the casting date code. Then check the trim tag (inside driver's door at the hinge area) and see if casting date precedes the assembly date say by a month. I know NCRS accepts up to 6 months as an appropriate cut off for judging purposes. If the date code and block code are ok, then it probably is the original engine, or at the very least a "correct" replacement block. If they don't match up, then you know the owner is lying to you....and if he's lying about this, what else is he lying about?
Old 08-25-2003, 09:20 AM
Robd
Pro

Default Re: Value without numbers (68shark)

If concerned about originality.....check to make sure it is the right casting number for your car and check the casting date code. Then check the trim tag (inside driver's door at the hinge area) and see if casting date precedes the assembly date say by a month. I know NCRS accepts up to 6 months as an appropriate cut off for judging purposes. If the date code and block code are ok, then it probably is the original engine, or at the very least a "correct" replacement block. If they don't match up, then you know the owner is lying to you....and if he's lying about this, what else is he lying about?
:iagree:

If it has the correct casting #'s and reasonable date, it most likely is the original motor. If they weren’t concerned about decking the block they wouldn’t have been concerned about putting in a "correct" PN, dated motor in its place.
Old 08-25-2003, 12:31 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Value without numbers (Robd)

Even with a blank pad and correct date and casting codes, you could still hit Top Flight.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:00 PM
70vert
Banned Scam/Spammer

Default Re: Value without numbers (Robert N)

Here's how I answered the question to myself. My intent was to never have the car judged. So, I can spend x dollars on an engine that has the same number stamped as the rest of the car, or I can use those x dollars on upgrades, paint, tires, chrome, whatever. I get a thrill looking at a car with a great paint, interiour, or whatever; I don't get much of a thrill looking at matching numbers.
There will always be a market for NOM cars. If your not getting the car judged, why pay for numbers.

Get notified of new replies

To Value without numbers

Quick Reply: Value without numbers