C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel starved??

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 12:56 AM
MN 72 454
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel starved??

I recently took the 72 out after completing some summer projects and It's still having some issues with fuel I believe. I rebuilt the Q-jet about a month ago and this seemed to really help. Now it will pull to redline in first, but in second when it reaches about 4000 it's like I shut the key off. As soon as I let up it comes back strong till about 4000 again. Before I go after the fuel pump, I would like to ask if anyone out there has had similar problems. In the spring it was really bad so I rebuilt the carb and noticed a very dirty fuel filter and the float level was a little low. Correcting this helped but the problem persists. Any Ideas??
Old 08-23-2003, 09:11 AM
72ls5fla
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Fuel starved?? (MN 72 454)

Same here....

Replaced the pump and all went back to normal.

But you may want to check all rubber hoeses too. If they are mushy or pinched this can make them collapse and pinch off fuel under demand.

Also, check pickup in tank to be sure it is un obstructed.

Bill :chevy
Old 08-23-2003, 10:39 AM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Fuel starved?? (72ls5fla)

Had the same problem on my 454. Seems they like huge abouts of gas. Rebuilt the Q-Jet, had Lars massage it and still had the problem. Replace the "S hoses and helped for about a day. Finally replaced the fuel pump and the pump rod. Now it gets enough fuel. What fixed it - I don't know, but suspect all items had an affect. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2003, 11:46 AM
My69
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Fuel starved?? (MN 72 454)

I did all of the above plus I blew out my fuel line with an air compressor. I had a bunch of crap blow out. It seemed to cure my fuel problem. :iagree:

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel starved??

Quick Reply: Fuel starved??