C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Try this one... Tailights...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 09:43 PM
VolVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Try this one... Tailights...

The magic of the Corvette has gotten me again.

My right brake light was out, so, I bought a bulb to replace the old burned out one. Because the new bulb didn't fit perfectly in the socket and illuminate consistenly, I turned the lights on so that I could tell when I had a good contact. I inserted the new bulb in the socket, twisted to get it in place and PRESTO the other brake light goes out and the running lights on the front quit working as well. Now, when I turn my lights on, the only lights that work are the front headlights.

Any good guesses on where to begin troubleshooting?

Thanks,

Stephen
Old 08-22-2003, 09:54 PM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Try this one... Tailights... (VolVette)

Sounds like you blew the fuse. Why is the tricky part but somewhere there is a direct short to ground.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:55 PM
ORVette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start simple. There is a plug under your dash, usually attached to the steering column, where your turn signal harness plugs into the rest of the system. It is about 1"x3"x3/16 thick, and has several colored wires running in one side and out the other. I always check for a good connection here whenever I'm tracking down turn signal/brake/marker light problems. Good luck.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:19 PM
ROD NOCK
Pro

And while you're at it chasing electrical gremlins, don't forget to clean those ground connections real good! :yesnod:
Old 08-23-2003, 01:09 AM
Kevin_73
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Did you have any resistance when you were twisting the new bulb into place?
If so it is possible that you installed the bulb 180 degrees off. 1157 bulbs have the two side pins attached at slightly different heights to make sure that the bulb can only be installed one way, but I noticed when I replaced one of the bulbs in my 73 that the old socket had so much wear in it that is was possible to install the bulb either way. :eek:
If the bulb is installed backwards while the system is powered (lights on) it is possible that both contacts on the bottom of the bulb could have touched the "hot" contact in the socket at the same time, this would allow the 12 volts from the running light curcuit to travel through both elements of the bulb to the ground which could have blown the fuse.
I would check the fuse, if it is blown replace it then remove the new bulb and turn the lights on to see if the rest of them still work. If so, replace the "new" bulb with the lights turned off being very careful to insure that it is installed in the proper orientation.

Get notified of new replies

To Try this one... Tailights...

Quick Reply: Try this one... Tailights...