C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 LS1 computers....

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 05:33 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default C3 LS1 computers....

OK, specifically what advantages does a newer style C5 computer have over the olde tyme systems?? can the thing be reprogrammed to a MAP system, and still run well??? that would save a whole lot in plumbing problems...

can the thing be set to ignore things like EGR, AIR, multiple cats, maybe just two O2 sensors?? and the like, can the thing be redone EASILY to compensate for a hotrod cam??? or headers??? much less intake mods.....
how wide ranging is the 'stock programme' and how difficult is it to hook up a laptop to do what I"m/we are aiming at....???

except for 6 additional wires on the injectors, what physical wiring changes are necessary to run the thing???

any other comparison notes appreciated....

I do like the concept of aluminum block and iron liners for the engine...gotta be worth a bunch of HP...not to mention weight savings...given the cooling changes....suppose I need to increase the radiator to something with 2 rows...

GENE
Old 08-22-2003, 05:42 PM
Gameshow Bob
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: C3 LS1 computers.... (mrvette)

Well, to just have the car run, all that you need to do is hook up a VATS module, bat+, and ignition to the ECU and other engine control devices (MAF, injectors, etc. . .). Other connections for VSS, Tach, OBD2 port, etc. . . you would connect according to your needs. Painless wiring makes LS1 harnesses for retrofitting these engines into older cars. A bit on the pricy side, ~$800, but I may go this route eventually if i want to put the ECU inside the cabin.

LS1Edit will take care of any computer changes that you need without replacing a ROM or anything like that. You can remove EGR functions, 2nd O2 sensors, change fan on/off times, basically any aspect of the program. I have yet to use this software so I cannot vouch for its ease of use or anything.
Old 08-22-2003, 05:50 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Default Re: C3 LS1 computers.... (Gameshow Bob)

Game/Bob...well,....HUMMM....maybe this is a new way to go...never know....

if the 'puter is all that so called 'friendly'....maybe I can avoid being bloody over the encouter...

GENE
Old 08-22-2003, 07:44 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Here's a link to the popular programming hardware/software for the LS1 PCMs.
http://www.carputing.com

I have this for my '02 Z06 and its very user friendly. Decent interface, and you can do quite a bit with it.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:55 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You cannot setup the LS1 to run well as a MAP system. The computer is designed to use the MAP as a backup only, not as the primary means of control. EGR,AIR, and the rear O2 sensors can be removed without even reprogramming the computer. These are codes that only set the check engine light to alert the driver of a problem.

Gene, are you thinking of trying to use a C5 computer on your TPI system?

Don't even bother. You would have to convert all of the sensors over to the LS1 sensors (and these are all metric). You would also need to install a crank trigger compatible with the LS1 system, and don't forget the 8 individual coils. WAY, WAY more trouble than it is worth. You could easily pick up a nice F.A.S.T or Accell system for a fraction of the cost.
Old 08-23-2003, 12:17 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Default Re: C3 LS1 computers.... (70 LS1)

70LS1, No not for this engine, I"m just surmising right now...it's in the vague concept stage now....

any idea what sort of power/torque numbers you are getting at the clutch?? at the wheels??? over 400 ??? I assume it's still a 350....

GENE
Old 08-23-2003, 12:29 AM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Right now all the internals are all stock. The only thing I did is remove the EGR, AIR, cats and installed dual 2.5" exhaust and a K&N filter. I am guessing around 300-320Hp at the wheels.

With the right cam and heads, these will easily make over 400 at the wheels.
Old 08-23-2003, 12:36 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Default Re: C3 LS1 computers.... (70 LS1)

There are aftermarket heads out allready for them??? or just newer GM castings?? or reworking what you have??? I assume by cam you mean aftermarket???

GENE
Old 08-23-2003, 12:54 AM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could go to Z06 specs with the Z06 heads and cam or you could go with an LS1 hotcam havent seen too much other stuff besides superchargers and exhaust.
Old 08-23-2003, 01:20 AM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Gene, there are three basic castings for the LS1 head. There is the stock LS1 head, the LS6 head (found only on the Z06 vettes) and there is the C5R head that requires either a sheetmetal intake or a Kinsler racing fuel injection setup. As of now, there are no aftermarket castings. There are several companies offering different porting jobs on the LS1 and LS6 heads.

There are probably 50 or so different cams available as well. Not only that, but many of the companies will custom grind you a cam to your specs for no additional cost.

Heads run from $1000 + core charge and up.
Cams are usually right around $400.
Upgraded valvetrains for the cams are around $300.

For more info, check out ls1tech.com You would be surprised at what is already available for the Gen III small block.

hope this helps.
Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To C3 LS1 computers....

Quick Reply: C3 LS1 computers....