C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! How do you correctly install and adjust iginition points?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 05:42 AM
78whtshark
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help! How do you correctly install and adjust iginition points?

It's been a long time since I messed with iginition points like 15 years. I'm trying to get a 1970 350/300 project car running and I am so close. It has run in 14 -15 years.

I've got no spark, and it appears the points are not opening (always closed), the set must be worn out and are not OEM points. Looks like a blue streak set equivalent.

It does not appear that there's much to adjust to get a gap, thus I'm going to buy the OEM style. I do remember, my grandfather using part of the iginition point box for gapping or a match book.

I've been looking at some restoration books, but they are not much help.

Any advice would be appreciated. Also got to find that old timing light and borrow a dwell meter.

Thanks,

Ralph

1978 coupe (good driver) and no iginition points, 1970 conv project car (not running yet) and has iginition points
Old 08-22-2003, 06:23 AM
Yeller81
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help! How do you correctly install and adjust iginition points? (78whtshark)

Set em up to 30 degrees on the Dwell Meter
:steering:
Old 08-22-2003, 06:28 AM
guppie
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Default Re: Help! How do you correctly install and adjust iginition points? (78whtshark)

28-32 degrees dwell if you're lucky enough to still have a dwell meter. 0.019 with a feelers gauge :cheers:
Old 08-22-2003, 07:04 AM
Martin72
Instructor

Default Re: Help! How do you correctly install and adjust iginition points? (guppie)

Here's an old trick that we used that will get you up and running. This trick worked back in the '70's...and worked with NAPA points.

Once you install the new points, turn the engine over slowly (by had) until the rubbing block on the points is on top of a lobe (points open). Then, using a piece of the box flap as a feeler gauge, use an allen wrench to set the point gap. The old NAPA box would measure between 0.017" and 0.019" which is close enought to get you running.

Then, when you can get (or borrow) a dwell meter, set to 28 to 32 degrees dwell.

Sometimes I miss the good old days. Try getting a new car running using a box top.... :lol:

[Modified by Martin72, 12:04 PM 8/22/2003]
Old 08-22-2003, 07:49 AM
MYBLU71
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Help! How do you correctly install and adjust iginition points? (Martin72)

Sometimes I miss the good old days. Try getting a new car running using a box top.... :lol:
[Modified by Martin72, 12:04 PM 8/22/2003]
:iagree: I remember when the "special tools" that I had was the box top and a screwdriver... I never saw a dwell meter until I was wrenching my way through college... :crazy:

Good Luck :thumbs: :smash:
Old 08-22-2003, 08:02 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Help! How do you correctly install and adjust iginition points? (MYBLU71)

You can use the Chevy method. You need a gap. W/ engine running at idle, turn the adj. screw cl. in until it misses & back out 1/2 turn.

When I ran points a long ago, used some special gold plated points & no dwell meter. One time I had a shop set w/ a dwell meter (as I recall that cost $1) to see if it would be better. It wasn't & didn't get one.

Old 08-22-2003, 10:21 PM
78whtshark
Instructor

Default Re: Help! How do you correctly install and adjust iginition points? (Ganey)

Thanks for all the advice, had to work late so tommorrow, I will hopefully get to install new parts and turn her over...

Get notified of new replies

To Help! How do you correctly install and adjust iginition points?

Quick Reply: Help! How do you correctly install and adjust iginition points?