C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Initial impressions of new CenterForce clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 09:45 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Initial impressions of new CenterForce clutch

Seems to need very little pressure to disengage almost the same as a stock clutch but you can tell it really grabs a lot better. I looked at my old stock clutch and while there was still alot of material left you see marks where it was slipping, appears the stocker has it's limitations horsepower wise.

Anyway I am very happ with the new clutch, the way it feels and drives now I have another problem, supposed to chassis dyno the car on Saturday and Centerforce says you need a 450-500 mile breakin period before you apply full power, I'll be lucky if I get half of that.

Now I don't want to f up my new clutch but if you read what they are saying there is a little bit of a grey area because how do they know how much power your car has. Like I was nearly wide open already and that would be twice the "full power of a stock '80" and someone with a 406 might have 600 HP so his 3/4 throttle would be like mine at full power.

Iwonder if they are more worried about someone revving to 5 grand and dumping the clutch more than about a gradual power increase. On an chassis dyno you start off slowly to about 2500RPM and punch it to ablut 5500RPM.

I don't think that could damage this clutch as it will be fully engaged and it would have to slip in order to do anything bad to it.

Anyone have any thoughts on this ?

Old 08-21-2003, 10:19 PM
hudman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Initial impressions of new CenterForce clutch (MotorHead)

I love my CF Dual Friction also. It grabs great.

I have 577 miles on mine. I have not sidestepped the clutch at 5 grand or anything, nor do I intend to. But then again, I have not granny'd it around town either. I was breaking in a motor at the same time, though.

I made the same assumption as you. Nothing crazy and you should be OK.

Enjoy it.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:30 PM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Initial impressions of new CenterForce clutch (MotorHead)

I believe after a couple of heat-ups and cool-downs the clutch is ready to go.

Seems I read somewhere that there is no seating or breakin for clutch disks. If there was, how much would the disk wear to seat? I hope my disk does not wear in the first 500 miles. :eek:

Just my opinion.

Terry
Old 08-21-2003, 10:56 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Default Re: Initial impressions of new CenterForce clutch (trw)

I have a CF Dual-Friction in my '69 BB and I don't think you should worry too much about the break-in. I've run them in other hot-rodded cars making much more power and raced them on slicks with less than 200 miles on 'em (and that WAS dumping the clutch at 5000rpm).

I would just apply the power gently, but once the clutch is fully engaged feel free to hammer on it. As long as you don't side-step it for the first few hundred miles you should be good to go.

Get notified of new replies

To Initial impressions of new CenterForce clutch

Quick Reply: Initial impressions of new CenterForce clutch