C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One more step baby step

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 08:03 PM
USA SHARK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default One more step baby step

Well, I just got the 77 licensed in Texas. After speaking with the lady at the Title and Registration office, I went with Antique plates. Based on how much I'll drive it and the comments she made (she definitely thought antique plates were best and no one is ever questioned), not to mention NO EMISSION tests or safety checks :D , it made sense.

Saturday I get it checked out by Vintage Power in Wylie, and hopefully I'll be on the road for a spin this weekend :thumbs:

Anyone else have antique plates in Texas? Any problems? How about the best corvette clubs?

Thanks guys,

Greg
Old 08-21-2003, 08:24 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: One more step baby step (USA SHARK)

I have mine licensed as an antique, but run original 1972 Texas plates. Every once in a while you may encounter city or county law enforcement that don't fully understand the antique status (e.g. may ask where your plate renewal decal is located or about your state inspection decal). Just keep the "tab" attached to your plate, for which many people use the lower right bolt that mounts the rear plate. It's also a good idea to obtain a copy of respective "antique vehicle" state disclosure and keep a copy at home and in the vehicle. Enjoy...
Old 08-21-2003, 08:38 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: One more step baby step (USA SHARK)

Hey USA SHARK!

Now... where the heck is Murphy, Tx? Dont' worry... you don't have to ask where Pearland is as we've got a couple of old codgers('80's) who show up at a local restraunt at lunch from time to time with just that on T-shirts... "Where the hell is Pearland?" It's great!

Did you just get your '77 or just moved to Texas? I went the *Classic* registration route with the '71 I just got and '71 plates. I've got to go through yearly inspections, but so far so good. And the '74 is just registered like any other car. No worries about inspections for now... I need to get it running first. :cheers:
Old 08-21-2003, 09:31 PM
USA SHARK
Racer

Default Re: One more step baby step (bgrice)

Hi bgrice!

The best way I can describe Murphy, TX is that we live about 2 miles from Southfork Ranch (where Dallas was filmed). It's NW of downtown Dallas by about 40 minutes.

I think I do know Pearland. Isn't it around Houston? I've lived in Texas for 2 years, but travelled down that way a lot.

I did just get my 77. Bought in in Portland, OR from just pictures. Made me very nervous! It needs work, but all in all should be a fun project.

I thought about the Classic, but I wouldn't have passed inspection (headlight issues, brake light issues, steering issues,... you get the picture). Plus, the Antique plates last 5 years! I dont' have to worry about renewing the plates, getting inspected or checking emissions :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To One more step baby step

Quick Reply: One more step baby step