C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got back from Carlisle. Interesting observation.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 04:54 PM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 182 Posts

Default Just got back from Carlisle. Interesting observation.

For the hell of it I made the short trip to Carlisle today (Thursday). It's normally a setup day for vendors, but they do permit the public to enter (for the normal price of $10 I might add). Anyhow, while many vendors were already there and open for business, I couldn't help but confirm the growing trend that me and a few buddies have noticed over the past 2 or 3 years. That is, this event seems to be attracting fewer and fewer vendors. My speculation is that they're pricing themselves out of the market, what with the convenience of the internet and the multitude of aftermarket suppliers. Anybody else notice this? Also, doen't anyone else find it ammusing, as well as apalling that the owners of Carlisle Productions seem to think they can increase all admission fees and on-site prices for the Corvette event at this facility. Quite honestly I find it disturbing and insulting.

While I still enjoy going to this event, I believe they are turning themselves into dinosaurs and soon will dwindle out of existence if they don't adapt.

By the way, who is running this faciltiy now? I've been told that the Miller's have sold out to ebay motors. When you're there, take a look around at everything (garbage cans, buildings, program guides, everything). It ALL has ebay motors plastered on it.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:13 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Default Re: Just got back from Carlisle. Interesting observation. (ettev)

Carlisle is a bunch of GREEDY PIGS :smash: :smash: What gets me is that if you are working and can't go until Sunday, the vendors are either packing up or are gone. If I have to pay it all to get in I want to see it all.

Instead of always robbing the guy who is there to buy parts or cars, they should charge the vendors more for the spaces. They are the ones making money.

Old 08-21-2003, 11:22 PM
70blueshark
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Just got back from Carlisle. Interesting observation. (Corvette ED)

Yeah, ya got a point, but once you charge the vendors more to be there the vendor will just pass the cost along to us. Either way you're getting it stuck to ya!
Old 08-22-2003, 03:33 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: Just got back from Carlisle. Interesting observation. (Corvette ED)

Prices for vendors spots have gone up from about $60/space a few years ago to about $90/space now. Myself and a group of "buds" have 8 spots, 4 on the "I" row and the 4 connecting spots on the "H" row.

We're regular guys...selling spare stuff from our resto's, etc. Not one of us is a regular parts dealer. The State of PA is requiring sales tax to be reported, even on the "junk" we sell. SO....we're not the "vendors who are making money". We go for fun.

We break down at about 3:00 o'clock on Saturday, and pull out at about 5:00 PM. Why? The people who are serious about buying parts are there Thursday and Friday. Saturday is "car show day". You also get the "Tee shirt and custom license plate frame" crowd. Sunday at Carlisle has always been a wasteland. It's been that way for decades, not just Corvette Carlisle, but Spring and Fall too. Chuck
Old 08-22-2003, 05:57 AM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Just got back from Carlisle. Interesting observation. (Chuck Gongloff)

Ya know.........now that I'm thinking about it might here's an idea that might pay off. It may actually be cheaper for and better for someone to rent one space for the weekend at $90. With that, don't you get 2 admission passes and the right to park right in the middle of the action for the duration of that event? Why not rent a vendor space and simply park your car in it while you're out shopping? I guess it might be a bit more expensive than the Fun Display though, right? Nevermind!
:conehead

[Modified by ettev, 5:07 AM 8/22/2003]
Old 08-22-2003, 10:17 AM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a friend who is a vendor and goes to most of the shows in the East. Attendence is down at all shows. The internet has put a hurt on "common" parts. What does sell at shows he tells me are large and uncommon items. I went with them to Bloomington and most of what sold were items that cost more than $20-30 to ship, dated "Survivor" type items, and items that are very hard to ascertain condition from a photo. It does seem to cost more and more to get in (and be a vendor). Parking is a problem. If you have gone to Knoxville for many years you know that you have to park further and further away and it is a pain carrying parts to your car. I don't know what the solution is. All I can say is keep the attendence up and maybe the prices to get in will stabilize. Bowling Green being the same weekend as Bloomington did not help.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:40 PM
76Frankenstein
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got home from Carlisle. I agree, there seem to be far fewer vendors than in past years. The show also seems less "organized" than before, with the fun field displays scattered here and there, intermingled with vendor tents etc. The sad thing for me is watching the event slowly turning from Corvettes at Carlisle into the Chip and Bill Miller Show. Every year we are "treated" to the saga of the Miller's latest acquisitions and self-promotional gimmicks. The show is becoming less about the enthusiasts and more about the Miller's money.
I had a good time, nonetheless, and still would recommend the show to anyone. I just about jumped out of my skin as I was daydreaming through the sales pavilion behind the barn and some guy fired up his blown pro-street shark 6 feet behind me! Made my day. After all, the party is what you bring to it, and one can't help but enjoy all those sweet rides. I'll be back the next 2 days as well.
Old 08-22-2003, 05:29 PM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Just got back from Carlisle. Interesting observation. (76Frankenstein)

Well said. I still say that this event is only a ghost of what is was 5 years ago.
Old 08-22-2003, 05:48 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,032 Posts

If anyone is going please check out the display of 1953 Corvettes. There is a tent that takes up a whole row. The cars start from the lowest vin number to the highest. It is real cool :cool: :cool: :cool:
Old 08-22-2003, 11:52 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Re fewer vendors and the internnet:
I had a conversation with a small vendor at the Houston Corvette show last year. He stated that he will do well to do $3k to 5K gross sales at a show with about half that going to travel expenses and show fees.
His wife grosses well over $20k per month with no expenses (she "works" from the kitchen table) on the web directly and thru ebay.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:45 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Just got back from Carlisle. Interesting observation. (flynhi)

His wife grosses well over $20k per month with no expenses (she "works" from the kitchen table) on the web directly and thru ebay.
That's the kind of job my wife needs. :yesnod:
Old 08-23-2003, 11:11 PM
lyonsh
Drifting

You know, I almost posted earlier defending Carlisle. But now that I'm back, I have to agree with you. It was really disappointing this year. We were looking for several things for our C3, and an exhaust for our C5. We had no luck on the C5 exhaust, and really struggled to find C3 parts. The selection was much less than previously, and we couldn't find some things at all.

If this had been my first Carlisle, it would have been my last. That's too bad - I really enjoy going there. At least I have in the past. :rolleyes:
Old 08-23-2003, 11:33 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Default Re: Just got back from Carlisle. Interesting observation. (lyonsh)

You know, I almost posted earlier defending Carlisle. But now that I'm back, I have to agree with you. It was really disappointing this year. We were looking for several things for our C3, and an exhaust for our C5. We had no luck on the C5 exhaust, and really struggled to find C3 parts. The selection was much less than previously, and we couldn't find some things at all.

If this had been my first Carlisle, it would have been my last. That's too bad - I really enjoy going there. At least I have in the past. :rolleyes:
I agree totally. I was just posting in off topic that I felt something was different. Much less organized. I couldn't find anything I was looking for. What C3 stuff I did find was total crap.

This is the one thing I really look forward to each year. I really hope someone snaps them out of this funk they have fallen into.
Old 08-23-2003, 11:39 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Default Re: Just got back from Carlisle. Interesting observation. (Steve Straus)

Forgot to mention. I hung out with MNJack for an hour or so, so it wasn't a total waste :-).

I did blow my rear main on the way back though.
Old 08-24-2003, 07:31 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: Just got back from Carlisle. Interesting observation. (Steve Straus)

I spent 3 full days in Carlisle, Thurs., Fri., and Sat. Pulled out at about 4:30 Saturday afternoon.

I didn't think Carlisle was any better, or any worse than any other year. I thought the number of vendors was about the same. I never ventured back to the car show on Saturday, as I was busy. Went through the car corral several times each day. Didn't see a whole lot that interested me there. Also, went to the auction, but nothing "floated my boat" there either.

I bought a few things, and sold a few things. After the "accounting", I came home with about $200.00 more than I left with, so I consider that a success.

I can't comment on the show/fun display, etc., but it seemed the same to me. Saw MNJack, Paul Borowski, and a few others. Had a good time. Chuck
Old 08-24-2003, 08:01 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

The economy being in the tank doesn't help, either.
:nonod:
Old 08-24-2003, 01:03 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

This was only my 5th corvettes at carlisle; I bought my 68 the first time. Seems the same to me. Some good points tho. I saw no need to buy anything - I figured I could buy whatever I needed from almost any of the vendors on the internet. The swap meet always looked like a big pile of junk to me but Chuck explained that the real shoppers come Thursday and clean up all the good stuff! :lol:

There's just too many vettes there! :lol: And they all look the same. And that display of 53 vettes.... That was the worst model year because every single one of them was white with red interior! I only saw one that I thought had any "character" worth my film, er I mean digits:

It really is hard to stand out in the crowd. I get a bit O/D'd on the whole thing. I am totally exhausted. For me the fun part is the people (+cars). I met a few forum members at the dinner Saturday night, including Parrothead and Father of Parrothead. Hung out with Steve Straus for a bit and got a look at his now-complete bigblock conversion :cool: (Sorry about the problems on your drive home). Stopped by to see Dr. Rebuild (ran into Rowdy Rat and Joe Lucia at that spot), Chuck Gongloff and a few other NCRS characters :) Somehow missed Paul B but I saw the much decorated orange 74 (again). Met Mark Donnally who showed my his 69 L88. I even ran into Quickvet's dad! I stayed around to watch the parade Saturday evening. That was fun and scary as usual. Anyway, seemed more or less the same to me.... 1000s of vettes and vette people doing vette things.. :) MJ

Oh, and my car performed flawlessly!!! including the drive up Friday in 88+ degree weather. :)

[Modified by MNJack, 1:04 PM 8/24/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Just got back from Carlisle. Interesting observation.

Old 08-24-2003, 01:32 PM
TonyQT
Pro

I was there Fri (HOT HOT HOT) and Sat. Fri I spent about the whole time in the vendor area. Sat all I did was check out the cars. Alot of cars!. It looked to me like the ones for sale were a bit high..anyone else think this? I was able to pick up some good deals on Fri. on used parts. I wouln't tell you all the good stuff, but I let you know I picked up a 6500 red line LT1 tach in near mint condition for $55. I also found a nice chrome center section for side pipes for $125. Next row over a dealer offered me $200 for it. SOLD :yesnod: I enjoy the time I get to spend at Carlisle. It's the only place where people are as nuts or more nuts then me about their cars.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:06 PM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 215 Posts

This was my third year attending, Friday all day only. I didn't notice a decline in vendors of used parts. While the parts for sale were not as interesting as the first year, I credit that to having accumulated most of what I have been looking for over the three years. With patience I got a correct ignition coil, 270 BR, for $10.00. On ebay they sell for much much more and with parts vendors they go for over $100.00. Saved $70.00 on a Kenwood radio compared to vendor catalog prices, and got several small items not found in the catalogs.
After the second shower a couple of vendors were closed on my way out so I didn't get the small items I spotted on the way in - next year I'll get them on the way in.
My son and I don't do much other than go thru the swap meet and a quick tour thru the fun display and car corral so I can't comment on these.
I'll be back next year, hopefully I'll drive my '73 up on thursday and spent thursday night, to recover, and Friday morning.
Roger
Old 08-24-2003, 05:49 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Default Re: Just got back from Carlisle. Interesting observation. (RMS73)

Observations:
Friday was way too hot, water cost $2.25 a bottle, A local guy got pissed at a guy from Canada who parked in front of his house on Calvery road and tried to damage his car-we saw a hole in the bumper when we returned?????-Silver Chrysler vert with "xx-Babes" Onterio plate?
Motel desk people not friendly-seemed "tired of car people"
Did find a couple of things that I was looking for but could have easily bought them from Bair's by phone. Didn't see any real deals.
Did get to stop in to say hi to a couple of people I deal with. Missed the Eastwood tent to stock up on paints.
Saw a sharp red/red 71 BB on the Dyno Saturday.
Did make good time to/from. (4.5 hrs)
Gary

Quick Reply: Just got back from Carlisle. Interesting observation.