C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid--remote starter switch for a BB

Old 08-21-2003, 02:51 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Stupid--remote starter switch for a BB

Got tired of having to use a piece of PVC pipe to hold the clutch in so I could reach through the window and bump the engine over, then go and look, then reach through the window again. . . . So I bought one of those remote starter switches with the two leads that you hook up to the starter. Then I go to hook it up to the starter and there's no freaking way that you can get those leads on a solinoid on a '69 427 without unbolting all kinds of stuff, which defeats the whole convenience reason for getting the switch.

Now, I know I can hook one of the leads to the back of the alternator for power, but is there some place other than the solinoid where I can hook the other lead to power the starter?

Dang it. Someday I'll learn to LOOK to make sure something will fit before I go and buy it!

JB

[Modified by JB, 1:52 PM 8/21/2003]
Old 08-21-2003, 03:46 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Default Re: Stupid--remote starter switch for a BB (JB)

Well, I know what you mean but it can be done. Hook one connection to the hot terminal of the alternator & the other to the small terminal at the starter. I did it recently and, while it's not easy it is possible. I adjust my valves hot & there's no way you'd want to try it after the motor is warmed up. I connected it before warmup & was able to get it in place from underneath the car.

Worth considering(& probably what I'll do when I have time to mess with it) is cutting the clamps off of the wires & using a standard wire connecter at the ends to permanently mount the wires to the terminals. Then you just mount the switch to the firewall, eliminating the need to connect the damn thing every time. Good luck- I feel your pain! :cheers:

[Modified by Les, 12:49 PM 8/21/2003]
Old 08-21-2003, 03:53 PM
vettemack
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could probably connect one wire to the clutch safety switch as it has to be depressed to start the engine. Connect other wire to altenator or horn relay. MAKE SURE CAR IN IN NEUTRAL.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:14 PM
HDIronman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a small block with headers and had the same problem. I simply use a pair of chanel locks to reach down and connect the clamps. Permenant connection with switch on firewall, as mentioned, will be a project soon.
:cool:
Old 08-22-2003, 12:50 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

:rolleyes: Looked all over my engine-wiring diagram for a convenient wire myself – but without luck. Couldn’t trace the starter wire into the firewall connector for even a convenient splice near the connector. Only solution I could think of is drop the starter and install a dedicated lead from solenoid to desired location and protect the hot (electricaly) end from grounding/shorting when not in use. :banghead:

Get notified of new replies

To Stupid--remote starter switch for a BB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stupid--remote starter switch for a BB