C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those that have installed the Dewitts Rad/dual fan setup.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 12:21 PM
BigBadRed
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default For those that have installed the Dewitts Rad/dual fan setup.

Just got mine installed :thumbs: However, the cylinder head hole for the sensor on mine has a brass plug. Furthermore, my car has headers that interfere with removing the plug, and that same interference would make sensor installation impossible. The spal fan manual says that the sensor should be installed in the cylinder head, however, I currently have it installed on the intake manifold. What problems would this cause. Would my engine run hotter or colder? To be honest, it seems like they are making the engine run colder.

If its not a big deal, I will just leave it as-is. If it is going to screw something up, I will call my exhaust guy and make an appoinment for him to remove the header and cut away the part that interferes. Probably 1/2 inch of material.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:25 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: For those that have installed the Dewitts Rad/dual fan setup. (BigBadOrange)

Depends on where the port is you are using, if it protrudes into coolant just entering the intake your eng will run hot but if it is on the other end it should run a little cooler.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:30 PM
Lt1er
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: For those that have installed the Dewitts Rad/dual fan setup. (BigBadOrange)

It's not a big deal. the water temp from the side of the head to the intake manifold before the thermostat should have minimal temp variation. I use the manifold for my water temp instead of the stock head position.

[Modified by Lt1er, 12:47 PM 8/21/2003]
Old 08-21-2003, 01:37 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: For those that have installed the Dewitts Rad/dual fan setup. (Lt1er)

It's not a big deal. the water temp from the side of the head to the intake manifold before the thermostate should have minimal temp variation. I use the manifold for may water temp instead of the stock head position.
Me too.

Brett :thumbs:
Old 08-21-2003, 01:44 PM
77Dream
Drifting

I got the same setup with the sensor in the intake. Works perfeclty for me. :yesnod:
Old 08-21-2003, 01:59 PM
BigBadRed
Race Director

Default Re: For those that have installed the Dewitts Rad/dual fan setup. (77Dream)

Cool, thanks for the piece of mind! :cheers:
Old 08-21-2003, 11:52 PM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Any of you guys got pictures of the dual fan set ups? I love to see it installed. The wifes 79 runs warm above 65MPH and while I have a few things to try "E" fans may be the way to go.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:15 AM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

I actually laid the sensor on top of the radiator next to the inlet from the block and siliconed it down there. Since I use a adjustable switch I can just turn it to whatever on temp seems to give me the desired water temp. Did it to a midyear and a 68 and have had no problems.

Tyler
Old 08-22-2003, 12:51 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: For those that have installed the Dewitts Rad/dual fan setup. (Fevre)

Depends on where the port is you are using, if it protrudes into coolant just entering the intake your eng will run hot but if it is on the other end it should run a little cooler.
coolant / water enters the block from the water pump and flows up and forward towards the thermostat housing. The t-stat, and that area where sensors mount in the intake is the coolant leaving the motor to the radiator.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:47 AM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

Sensor in the intake manifold is fine. I did have mine mounted in the head, but discovered that header heat affected it, and the fans never shut off. Now it works as it should.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:25 AM
QuickVet
Race Director

Default Re: For those that have installed the Dewitts Rad/dual fan setup. (biltogo)

i love mine. I think my sensor is in the intake or the waterpump, dont remember
Old 08-22-2003, 09:13 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: For those that have installed the Dewitts Rad/dual fan setup. (QuickVet)

A sensor mounted in the intake will read higher than one in the head. Only problem MAY be that the fans never shut off. If they shut off you're fine.

I have the sensor for the EFI in the intake and the stock gauge sensor in the head. The EFI sensor reads about 15F higher than the gauge.
Old 08-23-2003, 12:38 AM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: For those that have installed the Dewitts Rad/dual fan setup. (zwede)

In part of a cooling article in Chevy High Performance not long ago, they compared the temp differences fron head to intake manifold. They found that after a few cycles from start up, the water temps read identical.
Old 08-23-2003, 09:37 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Got mine in the intake manifold on the 79/ZZ502-- works fine. I used a Mr.Gasket gooseneck with a threaded tap for a temp sender to run the gauge.
:yesnod: :chevy :chevy :yesnod:

[Modified by MassVette, 9:37 AM 8/23/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To For those that have installed the Dewitts Rad/dual fan setup.

Quick Reply: For those that have installed the Dewitts Rad/dual fan setup.