C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagram available or technique for making sure distributor wires not crossed

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 11:29 AM
hudman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagram available or technique for making sure distributor wires not crossed

Is there a diagram available to allow me to correctly identify whether I have hooked up my plugs wires incorrectly. Some repairs caused me to disconnect a few and I now have a foul running car. I am not starting from scratch as the other 6 were not unhooked.

I am hopping for a diagram that identifies the correct cylinders on the cap.

Thanks
Old 08-21-2003, 12:01 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Diagram available or technique for making sure distributor wires not crossed (hudman)

I know exactly what you are talking about, I can picture it... but I can't find it. Thought it was in the service manual. Maybe it's in the Haynes manual?
Anyway, make your own. Firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 clockwise according to:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=447988

And the cylinders are numbered 1-3-5-7 on the drivers side starting with #1 closest to the radiator and #7 closest to the windshield. Passenger side is 2,4,6,8 of course. So if you know which 6 wires are untouched..... hey, if you only moved 2 wires and you think they are wrong, why don't you just switch them? :lol: MJ
Old 08-21-2003, 03:03 PM
hudman
Racer

Default Re: Diagram available or technique for making sure distributor wires not crossed (MNJack)

The switching of the wires trial and error method was going to be the last resort. Trying to be more scientific though. I can definitiely figure it out from your info. Thanks alot.

I am really grasping right now. This car is running horribly and driving me crazy.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:34 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Re: Diagram available or technique for making sure distributor wires not crossed (hudman)

The firing order should be cast into the intake if it's stock,distributer turns clockwise,and the #1 tower should be on the front of the cap,drivers side.Just crank over the engine till the damper mark is on the 0 degree mark,and the closest tower on the front should be #1.
Old 08-22-2003, 05:18 PM
dath
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Diagram available or technique for making sure distributor wires not crossed (The Money Pit)

The firing order should be cast into the intake if it's stock,distributer turns clockwise,and the #1 tower should be on the front of the cap,drivers side.Just crank over the engine till the damper mark is on the 0 degree mark,and the closest tower on the front should be #1.
Not necessarily true. You could also be 180 degrees off. Best bet if you want to find the number one is to pull the #1 plug and put your finger in the hole and have someone crank. If your finger is being pushed out by air and the mark lines up, you're at TDC, if not and the mark lines up, you're 180 degrees off...
Old 08-22-2003, 11:03 PM
Enad
Racer

Old 08-22-2003, 11:34 PM
ROD NOCK
Pro

Hey, great diagram Enad!
I'll give you one of Rod's tips to help in sorting those tossed plug wires when working. Get yourself 8 std clamping style close pins, and number each with a marker 1 - 8. Clamp to the wires before removal. They tend to stay put, and you can keep track of which wire goes where!! :cool: :D
Old 08-23-2003, 01:02 AM
dath
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Diagram available or technique for making sure distributor wires not crossed (Enad)

Enad, nice diagram, but on a '68 the wires rotate clockwise one position (so number 1 is where number 8 is, 8 is where 4 is, etc, etc). This diagram is for an HEI setup. If Bubba touched the car in the past, all bets are off, the number 1 cylinder could be anywhere, but the order always stays the same... Lars has a good writeup on how to "correctly" (as in factory correct) install your points style (just rotate one position for HEI) distributor. They can be made to work in any orientation, but there was only one way they came from the factory...
Old 08-23-2003, 01:48 AM
Enad
Racer

Default Re: Diagram available or technique for making sure distributor wires not crossed (dath)

:iagree:

The diagram is a non-bubbaized 1982 version. :lol:

Dane
Old 08-23-2003, 02:26 AM
SLine78
Racer

Default Re: Diagram available or technique for making sure distributor wires not crossed (Enad)

Something is wrong with it. Cap termnial 7 is going to plug 3 and terminal 3 is going to plug 7.

Mike

[Modified by SLine78, 11:27 PM 8/22/2003]
Old 08-23-2003, 04:05 AM
Enad
Racer

Default Re: Diagram available or technique for making sure distributor wires not crossed (SLine78)

Something is wrong with it. Cap termnial 7 is going to plug 3 and terminal 3 is going to plug 7.
Oops :bb Sorry about that. Its fixed
Old 08-23-2003, 08:05 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: Diagram available or technique for making sure distributor wires not crossed (ROD NOCK)

Hey, great diagram Enad!
I'll give you one of Rod's tips to help in sorting those tossed plug wires when working. Get yourself 8 std clamping style close pins, and number each with a marker 1 - 8. Clamp to the wires before removal. They tend to stay put, and you can keep track of which wire goes where!! :cool: :D
Thats a good one and there is also those flat bread bag things that wook good too. My MSD wires came with little plastic numbers that clamp around the wire....they are too :cool: :cool:

Get notified of new replies

To Diagram available or technique for making sure distributor wires not crossed

Quick Reply: Diagram available or technique for making sure distributor wires not crossed