C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission output yoke travel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 12:10 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Default Transmission output yoke travel?

How much travel should there be on the tranny output slip yoke where it goes into the tranny case? I'm thinking that mine is binding when the drivetrain gets warmed up.
Old 08-21-2003, 02:39 AM
442olds
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Transmission output yoke travel? (carriljc)

you want .75 to 1 inch of the slip yoke outside of the transmission. With that much you should be just fine. If you driveline can expand more than that you may want to look eslewhere for a bigger problem.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:49 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Transmission output yoke travel?

Thanks. Any idea how much space there should be between the slip yoke forward end, and the tranny internals, when it is at maximum insertion?
Old 08-21-2003, 10:31 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Transmission output yoke travel? (442olds)

you want .75 to 1 inch of the slip yoke outside of the transmission. With that much you should be just fine. If you driveline can expand more than that you may want to look eslewhere for a bigger problem.
If corvettes didnt have independant rears I would agree with you - however, the rear axle of the vette is rigid in the frame and should move no more than a 1/16th to a 1/8th of an inch - and that due only to the compliance of rubber bushings. - When I installed by TKO I have the width of my little finger between the back of the yoke flange and the lip of the transmission end seal, this is maybe 3/8" - When I took the old yoke out and looked at the wear pattern on it from the previous transmission it was clear that there was little to no movement of the yoke in the trans.
Old 08-21-2003, 04:09 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Transmission output yoke travel? (fauxrs)

OK, so as long as I have 3/8" to 7/16" of room between the forward end of the yoke and the tranny internals I should be ok. I'll go check that. Thanks again.
Old 08-21-2003, 04:43 PM
vettemack
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Transmission output yoke travel? (carriljc)

Mine measures exactly 1 inch from the seal. This is with all new mounts, everything rebuilt, no body. :iagree:

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission output yoke travel?

Quick Reply: Transmission output yoke travel?