C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD 6AL Problem?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 10:25 PM
SlightlyWicked76
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MSD 6AL Problem?????

I have installed a MSD 6AL on a 76 Vette with the 4 pin moduale in an HEI system. All the wiring is hooked up correctly with the exception of the power leads, I have the heavy red connected to the main power source for the starter and the heavy black grounded to the engine block. :confused: Now the problem! :cry The car starts up wonderfully, better than before, but after acceleration it dies (aka: deacceleration). Once the car is running at about 800 RPM it will just die. Then it will start right back up once I turn the key again. One thing that I feel I should mention is that I installed electric fans resently and I am powering them of of the alternator, since I hooked them up my voltage gauge in the car has been all over, could it be that the fans are pulling all the voltage that the MSD needs to run?? I have no idea, please help! :confused:
Old 08-20-2003, 10:42 PM
zZArAZz
Racer

Default Re: MSD 6AL Problem????? (SlightlyWicked76)

First thing I would do is check your ground. If you are not sure about it make a new one. I had some troubles with mine and bought the special harness and removed the 4 pin thingie (heh) in the distributor. Ever since then though my tach would not work! (heh)
Try calling MSD tech support, they are pretty cool. Though when I called about my tach, their support was: Purchase a new unit :D
Old 08-20-2003, 10:43 PM
Jack71
Drifting

Did you have to hook an ignition lead up to the box? Not sure about the HEI wiring.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:56 PM
Sixty9
Advanced

Do you have the little red wire hooked to the ignition wire--it needs a constant 12v supply to stay running!
Old 08-21-2003, 09:34 AM
SlightlyWicked76
Intermediate

Thanks for your help. I will recheck the ground and ensure that the little red wire is getting a constant 12v while the vehicle is running. I have the box mounted under the headlight doors in the very front of the car and I had to extend the wires to be able to make the connections any chance that the wires are bleeding away volts because of the long runs? Again thanks for your help and I will be working on it today so if you have any inputs let me know. Thanks. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To MSD 6AL Problem?????

Quick Reply: MSD 6AL Problem?????