C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie question ... loss of battery power

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 08:53 PM
79Cruzer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Newbie question ... loss of battery power

Well. I've been enjoying the new baby for the last 4 months in between replacing the rad, alternator,water pump,etc. Just when I get a 3-4 days of no problem driving in something else crops up. Not really complaining as when it's working the fun sure outweighs these shortterm headaches. In time I'll get the beast realiable. Can someone help with the problem below?

I drove the car 2 days ago with no problems on starting. Tonight it won't turn over, but enough juice to run the radio and barely run the fan which tells me the battery is just about dead. I put an ammeter in line with the battery and notice a draw of .18amps. When I disconnect/reconnect the battery it sounds like a relay? is engaging right under the shifter console. I don't want to yank the console out when this may be normal but I think this might be why the battery is being drained. Is there supposed to be a relay there? Thanks for your help.

Should have mentioned it's a 79 L48 stock engine. ****

[Modified by 79Cruzer, 7:57 PM 8/20/2003]
Old 08-20-2003, 10:27 PM
79corvette
Racer

Default Re: Newbie question ... loss of battery power (79Cruzer)

I believe there is a relay for the alarm under there. I noticed it when I would disconnect and connect the battery. I think it used to drain my cars battery. I changed the lock cylinder(I never recieved a key for it) and disarmed the alarm and it doesn't click on and off any more and there is no drain on the battery.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :party:

[Modified by 79corvette, 10:51 PM 8/20/2003]
Old 08-20-2003, 10:38 PM
Jack71
Drifting

Default Re: Newbie question ... loss of battery power (79corvette)

:iagree: On my 74 it was in one of the rear storage compartments. I had the same problem. I hope you nail it, electrical draws are the pits...
Old 08-20-2003, 10:57 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Newbie question ... loss of battery power (Jack71)

If it is your alarm, you would hear the horns a blaring. If your horns are disconnected, you will hear 2 relays clicking in/out for the horn relays and the starter will be interrupted.

I had a problem like you describe on my 98 ZR2 blazer and it turned out to be corrosion on my V+ battery contact side post cable end. I cleaned it and it would be good for another few months and then one day you would go out to start it and youll get nothing again. Clean the contact and your good again. I ended up replacing the contact completely.

Brent...
Old 08-20-2003, 11:11 PM
Blu8t
Intermediate

I just had the same problem. I have an 80. Using your drivers side door lock you actvate an anti theft system. short term fix: remove the fuse called CTSY CLK this is the fuse that provides that relay protection . Then I worked with my door lock (key) to figure out when the relay is energized in the locked position and de-energized when in the un-locked position.Good luck
I guess your horn doesn't work either.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:56 AM
79Cruzer
Instructor

Default Re: Newbie question ... loss of battery power (Blu8t)

Thanks everyone for the tips. I'm not aware I have an alarm system. If it's installed then it's not working! I found a search facility on this site and typed in battery drain. This seems to be a common problem. I'll start with the key lock and check the battery compartment then work my way through this by removing fuses. I've managed to see a bit of the fuse box but unless you're 4 foot 2 and 90 lbs this is going to be pretty tough. I'll let everyone know if I find something.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:36 PM
79Cruzer
Instructor

Default Re: Newbie question ... loss of battery power (Blu8t)

Thanks Blu8t and others for the advice. It helped. The problem was the 'alarm system' activated by the door lock key. With a test light in series with the battery, I could turn it on/off with the key in the door lock on the frivers side. I'm glad I didn't have to start crawl under the steering wheel and start pulling fuses tonight as it's pretty hot here with humidity running pretty high. In the meantime I've also put in a battery disconnect so until I get this thing disabled, I'm able to control when power is going to/from the battery. Took the car for a spin just to make it feel better as she had been sitting for a few days! Thanks again. :)
Old 08-21-2003, 10:16 PM
Aflac
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I know that when it comes to corvette electrical, that yours truly is an uteer and complete neophyte in the arena, but by chance, does your car have an aftermarket radio installed in it? If it does, my next question is : Is it capable of being turned on without having the key installed? the ninny that my car was bought from decided that he wanted to be able to turn the radio on with out the key.. He hacked the ends of the radio plugs off and installed it. needless to say, i have the same problem with mine if I let it set for more than a week. When i start in on my interior work, i'm going to locate the correct plugs and rewire them in and put the radio in with them....
Old 08-22-2003, 02:08 PM
79Cruzer
Instructor

Default Re: Newbie question ... loss of battery power (Aflac)

Yes. There is an aftermarket radio/cd player. It was wired to operate while the car was turned off. I re-wired the unit so it would only operate while the key was turned to accessory or the car was started. I won't comment too much on how the previous owner had wired it because it was a sad job (#26 speaker wire for power, taped with masking tape,etc).
Old 08-22-2003, 02:13 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

You might want to get a battery turn-off ****. They are cheap and can save your battery. If not driving for a couple of days, I just turn it off.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:33 PM
79Cruzer
Instructor

Default Re: Newbie question ... loss of battery power (OHSIXX)

I've put in a battery disconnect so I can control this for now. Saturday I'll look at how to disarm the alarm switch. My horn does work and when the key ativates the alarm relay I only hear one click and not alternatiing 'clicks' as if it's trying the horns.
Old 08-23-2003, 01:00 AM
79corvette
Racer

My relay would only click once too, when it was either turned off or on. And my horn would not make any noises either. Except one day it started to honk as I was driving. The alarm was even disarmed. Thanks to bubba (previous owner) my electrical is a little messed up.

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie question ... loss of battery power

Quick Reply: Newbie question ... loss of battery power