C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Camaro belts, can I dye them?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 06:59 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default New Camaro belts, can I dye them?

Just picked up a set of Camaro belts for the 70. Can I safely dye them without weakening the material? What dye can I use? I picked up grey belts, so if I can't dye them, its not the end of the world.

This is for my winter project of re-doing the interior. This time I am going to do things a little different. I am actually going to wait until I have all the parts before I start to take anything apart. Don't worry, I will post plenty of pics.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:13 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Default Re: New Camaro belts, can I dye them? (70 LS1)

ttt
Old 08-21-2003, 06:18 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure, but I found a set in black on Ebay for less than $50. You could always hunt the right color and sell yours.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:31 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Default Re: New Camaro belts, can I dye them? (Robert N)

They are only available in various shades of grey and tan. The "black" set on ebay were actually grey.
Old 08-22-2003, 03:22 AM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used Plastikote or Duplicolor fabric spray paint on my resto from tan to black. This fabric paint penetrates the seat belt fabric almost like a solvent, not like a thick paint.

It took a few good coats from each side to get it to turn color which then stiffened up the seat belt material. Try it on a junk yard belt of similar color first to see if you can live with it.

All in all it wasn't a complete failure and I dont mind the stiffer belts, but the wifey wants them softer.

BSeery was talking once about using the RIT type dye for his. Dont know if he ever got around to it.

Brent...
Old 08-22-2003, 03:42 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: New Camaro belts, can I dye them? (MN-Brent)

I've dyed a TON of seatbelts over the past 10 years. Here's the way to do it. First, you completely disassemble them. Remove all the buckles/tongues, and even the labels. You'll have to remove stitching to get this stuff off.

Then go to the grocery store and buy either RIT or Tintex dye REMOVER as well as the corresponding dye. Follow the dye stripper directions (boiling pot of water, strip the old dye out of the belts). When you're done stripping the old dye, the belts will be an "egg shell" color (off white). You can then re-dye them whatever color you want.

Reassemble them. Find an industrial sewing machine, or go to a trim shop and have them resewn (buckles/tongues, etc).

Spraying external dye on them will stiffen the belts, plus you don't get even coverage. Chuck
Old 08-22-2003, 09:13 AM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Default Re: New Camaro belts, can I dye them? (Chuck Gongloff)

Why do you have to take them apart to dye them?
Old 08-23-2003, 02:08 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

That's the way I usually do it. Why? To get the dye evenly "stripped", and then evenly applied. Otherwise, it's tough to get coverage in the areas of the belts that wrap around the floor mounts, and the "buckle" mounts. Also, same deal with the "jellyrolls". I usually take the labels off too, because if they're "original" Corvette belts, I re-use them.

Don't know what would happen soaking late model plastic/metal buckles in dye stripper either. The belts I've done are for NCRS resto cars, both for myself, and for friends.

Another point....it is technically illegal to resew seat belts. Why? Original belts have been subjected to various FIA/ICC stress and strength tests. So, you need to find a "bud" in the upholstery biz.

I've seen guys use spray dye on seat belts. The belts usually look like it. :) Chuck
Old 08-23-2003, 06:36 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Default Re: New Camaro belts, can I dye them? (Chuck Gongloff)

You say spraying stiffens the belts? My shoulder belts are very limp (well used) and tend to fold over themselves going into the retractor.. Do you think this would help? I tried siezing.. It helped a little.
Old 08-24-2003, 07:38 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: New Camaro belts, can I dye them? (bluevetteman)

Can't answer that one. I've seen some belts that get a "crunchy" consistency after they've been sprayed. Maybe they've used "spray vinyl" instead of "spray dye". Chuck

Get notified of new replies

To New Camaro belts, can I dye them?

Quick Reply: New Camaro belts, can I dye them?