C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best way to re-install the wiper door on a 1969?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 12:00 PM
James
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What is the best way to re-install the wiper door on a 1969?

Just curious to know how people go about re-installing the wiper door after it has been removed for painting. My car was painted about 3 weeks ago and everything is alligned and put back together except the wiper door. I have all new bushings and the funky little bolts needed to put it back on but what is the best way to go about doing it?
1. Allign the vent grill at the back of the hood and then install the wiper door and allign the wiper door to the vent?
or
2. Remove the vent grill at the back of the hood, install the wiper door, and then re-install the vent grill and allign it up?
There has to be some trick or process that people use when they do this.
Any help or suggestions you have you be very helpfull.
Thanks.
Old 08-20-2003, 03:21 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: What is the best way to re-install the wiper door on a 1969? (James)

On mine I put the door in and used shims to make it line up at the back with the trim, then put the grille in and kinda split the difference between the hood and the wiper door with it. It turned out well.
Old 08-20-2003, 03:39 PM
James
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: What is the best way to re-install the wiper door on a 1969? (markdtn)

I take it by doing the wiper door first with the grill vent off it makes getting to the bolts under the wiper door easier?
Old 08-21-2003, 12:25 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: What is the best way to re-install the wiper door on a 1969? (James)

I found a good easy tip was to cut a slot in the tips of the bolts holding the door on, then spin them home wth a small screwdriver from over the fender top....then tighten...and I hold with a dap of RTV in the end of the hole....

second off, when door is aligned with w/s and fenders, when closed...
you set the grill in place under the door aboutr 1/4 open for clearance, and then close it all the way....then lower hood to check clearances with hood up on the spring unlatched for ease of adjusting....IF you get lucky most of that stuff will line up without much hassle.....

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To What is the best way to re-install the wiper door on a 1969?

Quick Reply: What is the best way to re-install the wiper door on a 1969?